SOT: Recording Software Help!

fuzzface71

• Members

Hey boys,

My band played a gig last weekend and it was recorded live. The recording was free and ok, I guess, but it was a bit dry sounding. We got a cd copy without our mixing supervision or anything like that. So, my question is..Is there a free software that we can download to maybe e.q. the recording a bit and maybe put some kind of reverb or add effects of some sort?

Thanks in advance. :)

• Members

I don't think the free ProTools comes with plugins. I'm not familiar with PC software, but they seem to have more free VST plugins, which may be better suited for what you want.
If you have it already mixed, you could still use eq., compression, reverb, and/or some enhancer/exciter to the whole mix.
If things are separated it will be easier.

• Members

Importing it into GarageBand, you can do a pretty decent job of mastering it. There are some surprisingly good effects in there, including eq, compression, gate, reverb, echo, etc. I got mine free when I bought my G5, but I think it's pretty cheap to buy.

• Members
Originally posted by fuzzface71

Just wanna add that I might not be able to use my mac because of low memory. So, I might use my roomate's PC.

I think there's a lost of useful freeware for working with music on a PC. Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with it.
Regarding Garage Band, I do like it, but it's very resource-intensive. My G4/800 1GB memory OS X 10.4.2 often struggles with it. :(
For working with audio I always go back to OS 9 (and ProTools).

Archived