amplification!?!?!

protoge x

• Members

i know this is a question for the amp forum but people have always been more helpful too me in here. so anyway i'm looking into buying a new head since the one i currently own is a {censored}ty solid state marshall. i play some pretty heavy music so if anyone can give me some amps that can give me both good high gain and clean tones it would be very helpful. thanks guys.

• Members

don't worry about price. i do want to spend my money wisely so i figure if it's a little out of my price range now i should simply just keep saving untill i can afford it. that makes more sense to me then buying something that's just decent because i can afford it for the moment. thanks for the suggestions so far and if anyone has any others i'll deffenetly check them out.

• Members

A Yamaha t-100 or t-50. I just bought one and it KICKS! It is soldono designed so it just sounds thick as you want. The reverb is {censored}, but who needs it when your rocking out. I have the t-100 and it has 11 tubes! great eq, tight bottom, amazing cleans, more gain then you need, very low noise. I love it more than any of the Mesas I have ever owned. You can find them for 300 and up. I bought mine in almost new condition for 500 on ebay.

• Members

Originally posted by goodbye,beautiful

A Yamaha t-100 or t-50. I just bought one and it KICKS! It is soldono designed so it just sounds thick as you want. The reverb is {censored}, but who needs it when your rocking out. I have the t-100 and it has 11 tubes! great eq, tight bottom, amazing cleans, more gain then you need, very low noise. I love it more than any of the Mesas I have ever owned. You can find them for 300 and up. I bought mine in almost new condition for 500 on ebay.

These are pretty darn good, and cheap to boot. I had forgotten about them.

I'll put in a vote for a Zinky Blue Velvet. Get the 50w head and put it on a THD 212 cab.

• Members

How is the gain on those zinkys? The yamaha does amazing cleans and the gain can be blusey to classic rock, to shread metal
:)

It's clean and tight, but not in a Mesa sort of way. It gets very thick, but it doesn't quite have the balls of something like a THD UniValve. I'm liking mine more and more every day, and finding ways around the handful of inherent limitations on the unit.

It won't work for a scooped mid sound, unless you're using an EQ pedal.

• Members

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay? They have a pair of them at the local GC for like $600 and $800 (marked down too). I remember a few years ago they were like $300. Looks like about mid 3's on ebay.

protege x, what part of Jersey are you from? The GC in Springfield has those two and a Peavey Ultra 120. The Ultra gets good reviews on the amp forum for the kind of stuff your are looking for. They used to want way too much for it, but now they've marked it down to a very reasonalbe price.

• Members

i have a t-100 for sale. it's been rewired, retubed, and i think re-capped. i'll ask my amp tech what all he did to it. whatever he did, though, it works as it should. it has one warm clean channel and one full-blown metal channel. $400. sorry i'm not in a position to donate in the katrina spam thread:(

• Members

Originally posted by innobidova

haha that's GC for ya

(pm me about my above post)

I'd love to, but I settled on a different rig.

After I couldn't find a Yamaha in my price range I went with a rack based setup (Peavey TubeFex Pre, Marshall Valvestate Power amp, Peavey 2x12) I think the programmability will suit my personality better in the long run.

Maybe the original poster will be interested. Your amp sounds like a good deal (1/2 a year ago I would have jumped on it)

• Members

Originally posted by protoge x

i'm in essex county in the newark area so springfeild is a little out of my way but i could always use a nice drive. thanks for all the tips guys i'll make sure to try them all out and see what works best for me. thanks again.

Out of the way? It's like a 10 minute drive down 22.

Don't forget the big sale on Monday too. They said there will be clearance deals. Sometimes things like that are a steal (especially if they've been sitting). I've even had salemen offer to let me buy things at the Monday price on Sunday.

• Members

Mesa Trem-o-verb. Can do the ruthless(ly silly) Mesa high gain as well as great classic overdrive sounds, and an decent enough clean tone. Two channels, two modes per channel.

Marshall DSL60 is pretty good. Miles better than the TSL, which I don't like.

Orange AD30... one trick... but an awesome one.

Those are the three I've used and would suggest (in order.) The Bogner Shiva gets everyone weak in the knees apparently, but I've yet to really work one out. Is this Sabbath "pretty heavy" or Mastadon "pretty heavy?" If the former, the new Marshall Handwired 220-something watt head isn't too pricey and sounds awesome cranked up a bit. Doesn't do brutal scooped crunch on it's own, but classic Marshall roar, sure thing.

• Members

"pretty heavy" as in the bled/every time i die/alexisonfire

if you haven't heard these bands before you can check out here

www.purevolume.com/thebled example - never met another gemini

http://www.purevolume.com/everytimeidie our singer does a similar type of voice but not as deep and a little less raspy.

http://www.purevolume.com/alexisonfire example - polariods of polar bears

that kinda heavy.

Archived