Varidrive or Eternity?

kha02a

• Members

:confused:

Trying to decide between these two pedals to get the lead tone I want.

Here are my two favorite tones: SRV and Trey Anastasio.

Basically I'm trying to beef up my strat lead tone. Wanting some more edge and sustain without losing clarity or the sound of the strat itself.

I play an 80's model American Strat through a Keeley compressor and a TS9 into a Fender Deluxe.

Got any suggestions on choosing between the Varidrive and the Eternity?

Think you know of an even better choice than these two?

Any good advice would be clutch.

• Members

not much difference at all. Same deal, except you get the Orange Squeezer side on the Bi-Comp, which is really cool. I actually use a different clone of the orange squeezer made by PedalDoctor called the Tangerine Squeeze. It's got that Mark Knopler sound down, which I like alot! I don't know if Trey still uses the Ross, I know he used to before he got the Bi-Comp.

Get the Eternity and you'll have it goin' on. Plus, it's alot smaller than the Varidrive and would be easy to sell if you weren't crazy about it, which you will be.

• Members
Originally posted by kha02a

:confused:

Any good advice would be
clutch

The use of that term (CLUTCH) is tragic.

I love my SIB Varidrive. It is so dependent on what tube you put in it you feel like a {censored}ing mad scientist swapping {censored} out. I highly recommend using lower gain tubes like 12au7 or 12ay7 as it can be a bit buzzy with 12ax7's IMO.

• Members

I play with strats too. One of my typical pedal set with a strat is an Analogman bicomp, an Analogman TS9/808, and an Eternity into a Matchless chieftain 210 set clean.
I've never tried the Varidrive, by the way.
Frankly, I can say that the Eternity is one of the best dirt pedal I have. The point about it is that it always cut through, in any circumstance. It' really precious if you play with a band.
Great tone, strong second hand value, top customer service (as well as Analogman by the way...) You can't go wrong with the Eternity.

;)

• Members

Originally posted by kha02a

Oh ...interesting. How so? What's your gear set up?

Strat > TU-2 > HBE Comp > Eternity > Keeley Fuzz Head > Zvex Super Duper > Dano PB&J > Dano Tuna Melt > Choralflange > Fender Deluxe Reverb or Concert.

I find the Eternity has a better overall sound, simple as that. Rich, smooth, loud, versatile. It really blows away any OD/distortion/dirt box I've tried. I own 40 to 50 pedals, have tried hundreds, and the Eternity ranks #1 out of any pedal I've ever used in overall sound quality. I know, apples to oranges, but it's just my favorite pedal.

Archived