US refusing foreign aid

riffdaddy

• Members

ok, so what exactly would the rest of the world do we cant do ourselves with regards to the gulf coast? maybe opec could increase the oil supply, dropping prices, doubt that. maybe syria, iran, and misc folk could halt the insurgency in iraq for a few? what did france offer to do? heck maybe the rest of the world could offer support in some way that we actually need their help? unfortunately we are the big kid on the block, we are capable of tending to our troubles at home just fine...its in the global community we could use help

• Members

where in this article does it explicitly say that the United States is refusing the aid?
Waiting on it for a short period of time , IMO is an excellent idea, this {censored} is not free.. hell, the US conditionally gives to other countries all the time, so I think it is wise to try and sniff out the other nation's motives.

• Members

Originally posted by brokent0ne

ok, so what exactly would the rest of the world do we cant do ourselves with regards to the gulf coast? maybe opec could increase the oil supply, dropping prices, doubt that. maybe syria, iran, and misc folk could halt the insurgency in iraq for a few? what did france offer to do? heck maybe the rest of the world could offer support in some way that we actually need their help? unfortunately we are the big kid on the block, we are capable of tending to our troubles at home just fine...its in the global community we could use help

Tell that to the woman sitting in her wheelchair outside the convention centre. Wait, you can't, shes dead.

• Members

I think other countries offered aide because it seems pretty obvious the US govenrment's effort isn't all it's cracked up to be.

If it has been refused, I'd suggest it is a pride issue...usually aide is offered like that to poor 'third world' countries, not the richest country on earth.

If you're thinking that other countries are only offering because of secret agendas, you need to get back onto the Paranoia pills...and send a few off to George W.;)

• Members

I hope the american government makes a move that will allow its people to be helped and their needs attended to in the fast way possible. In times like these, it's not about pretending to be strong. You know there is a weakness and so does the rest of the world, at least they are not pointing and laughing...they are offering a helping hand.

When Earthquakes hit Turkey and Greece as well as the Tsunami, help was offered and accepted.
The fact is that wherever there is trouble, if no immediate action is taken, 3rd world country or not, a bit of help is always good.

Someone said "I get by with a little help from my friends" ;)

• Members

Originally posted by TexGtr

where in this article does it explicitly say that the United States is refusing the aid?

It doesn't. What it does say is this:

"State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Wednesday 10 to 12 foreign governments have offered general assistance to the United States to deal with the hurricane aftermath. No decision has been reached about accepting the offers."

It does not say that we refused aid.

• Members

Alot of countries refuse US aid cause it often comes in the form of MILITARY AID. There are a lot of strings attached. #1 being the fact that if we accept help then we lost in Iraq. And that we can't fight wars and take care of ourselves. Sometimes perception is reality. We haven't been asked to sacrifice a single bit in this war so the boy king and his monied friends can have their guns and butter.

• Members

First, we don't need money, we need a well thought out plan. We've got lots of money. Secondly, what could Russia possibly offer us? They have there own problems, to expect them to pay up is rediculous, and if they did, its the right thing to do to deny it.
Thirdly, if the god damn "gangstas" stopped {censored}ing shooting at officers, and looting walmarts we could get something done.

• Members

Originally posted by fancynapkin

First, we don't need money, we need a well thought out plan. We've got lots of money. Secondly, what could Russia possibly offer us? They have there own problems, to expect them to pay up is rediculous, and if they did, its the right thing to do to deny it.

Thirdly, if the god damn "gangstas" stopped {censored}ing shooting at officers, and looting walmarts we could get something done.

Who knows what's really going on. I am a cynic so I have a feeling the media is pumping out the talking points to cover the fact that there was no plan and more than 60% of LA's guard is tied up elsewhere.

• Members

Originally posted by fancynapkin

I doubt you meant it this way, but the way you phrased that last sentence comes off as a little racist. Many people are "looting" to survive. Furthermore, WalMart has elected to permit people to take the merchandise.

Shooting at officers (or anybody else) is definitely messed up, but the reasoning behind the action isn't too difficult to grasp.

• Members

Originally posted by catalinbread

Who knows what's really going on. I am a cynic so I have a feeling the media is pumping out the talking points to cover the fact that there was no plan and more than 60% of LA's guard is tied up elsewhere.

+1. In fact, some news source (I can't remember which one) reported about two or three weeks ago about LA's guard being depleted, and how this could be problematic if a hurricane strikes. How sadly prophetic this report turned out to be.

• Members

I saw Bush say that 'we don't need help' - and than with that stupid smirk on his face, like, I AM the man who will solve this on my own...
'we will arrise from this, because we are America'

IMO you need all the help you can get...!
Recovering all the bodies floating around (did I just say that...?? Terrible...), restoring order... Building the new sea-walls... etc...

• Members

Originally posted by 4Kenoath

If it has been refused, I'd suggest it is a pride issue...usually aide is offered like that to poor 'third world' countries, not the richest country on earth.

yep, the mintue we would accept aid would be admitting we are not all powerful, which is not a good position, also, being in the debt of the others is not a good thing for a nation, if it can be avoided...

• Members

Originally posted by riffdaddy

I doubt you meant it this way, but the way you phrased that last sentence comes off as a little racist. Many people are "looting" to survive. Furthermore, WalMart has elected to permit people to take the merchandise.

Shooting at officers (or anybody else) is definitely messed up, but the reasoning behind the action isn't too difficult to grasp.

I bet this is going to get a lot of people pissed off, but here goes. The people that are still in New Orleans are by and large the poor, the criminals, the mentally ill, the less affluent, etc. Of course there are exceptions, but these are exactly the type of people that have run-ins with the law. Factor in a scenario that makes everyone desperate, and you've got this mess.

Looting for survival is one thing, but if you are caught walking out of Wal Mart waist deep in water with a TV over your head, you should be shot on sight. First of all for being evil enough to steal a nonessential item at this time, second, for being so damn greedy that you'd steal an item that probably won't work and you won't know for sure for another few weeks.

J

• Members

Personally I think that most foreign aid would't be any help right now - there's no means to even get buses and clean water in to people; adding in massive amounts of supplies that can only sit on ashpalt somewhere doesn't make sense.

Until basic infrastructure is decent enough to permit travel, piling up goods and materials on the edge of the city will just be a waste. In a week or so though I would expect this would change. Of course you can't survive that long without water ...

The things I could see being of immediate help would be more helicopters to aid in rescuing people, or even dropping in clean water to the thousands that apear stranded. That and some kind of shelter that could house the thousands of people for months - there appears to be nowhere to take most of them even if they do get them on buses anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by riffdaddy

If calling a Spade a Spade is Racist,then so be it.

Archived