Jump to content

Pedal Builders for Katrina relief


Marcus Dahl

Recommended Posts

  • Members

That sucks Donner, especially after the effort you have already put in... this idea is so different from gambling too. :(

Sure, there's the same element of increased returns, that of course appeals to ticket buyers, but you guys are not doing this to make profit from those tickets, the intent and motivation is to help those in need.

I like how it gives everyone a chance, it made the pedals accessible to almost anyone and not just the few who can afford to outbid the next guy in an auction. I'm almost certain more money could have been raised this way too.

I guess there isn't any other way, without breaking the same rules that prohibit the raffle? Are all tickleted ballot competitions illegal? Even silly little guessing games, like those found at a church fete and carnivals?

Say you take a picture of a jar that's filled with resistors. Then charge folks $20 to guess just how many resistors it contains, closest to the mark wins pedal "X"

Or, guess the weight of Zach's soldering guy (whilst he's holding his iron, plus one example of every zvex pedal ever produced) to win a Vexter Fuzz Factory!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes well the Red Cross could probably have a pedal raffle , but a private citizen cant have one on the Red Cross behalf --- the intent doesnt matter apparantly.... Churches and other not for profits could do it, as they have fundraising in thier charters etc.....

So maybe I should become a church...... Hey maybe the Rev. could do it !
:D


Yes it was an excellent alternative idea (not mine) to auctions, but without some major modification its not going to happen, anyway I cant run it.....



Sorry for the time wasted, Ill get the money returned and throw the rest of my efforts into getting the auctions going now.........

Anyone who was only into the raffles is completely welcome to back out ........

Ill post updates as there is info to pass on....:cool:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Ok, I was able to give 100% refunds from Paypal so I did....

I updated my site for the new situation ( you can see all the pedals that will be auctioned)

http://www.tonesafari.com/id45.html

I hope to start the auctions very soon..... as soon as I decide what the best route is ( any of you ebay geniuses have any suggestions ??)


Sorry for the detour , thanks for hangin in there !!
:cool:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

the 'strategy' is to get as much of the money to the charities as possible.....

doesnt look like there is anyway to avoid t he Ebay charges.....no real advantage to registering with mission fish or what ever that I can see, since this will be word of mouth and ebay junkies anyway.........


So I may just run them on my account as regular auctions,,,, maybe with a common word in the title or some thing for search purposes......tho you can link to my current auctions....... and have t o hold back enough for the ebay fees --- 66 times anything adds up quick....


Im going to sleep on it...... Tommorrow morning will start the auctions...:cool:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by Donner

the 'strategy' is to get as much of the money to the charities as possible.....


doesnt look like there is anyway to avoid t he Ebay charges.....no real advantage to registering with mission fish or what ever that I can see, since this will be word of mouth and ebay junkies anyway.........



So I may just run them on my account as regular auctions,,,, maybe with a common word in the title or some thing for search purposes......tho you can link to my current auctions....... and have t o hold back enough for the ebay fees --- 66 times anything adds up quick....



Im going to sleep on it...... Tommorrow morning will start the auctions...
:cool:



I HAVE AN IDEA.....ON LABOR DAY AS WELL =]
Figure out what "we" lose in fees and....we will donate a "super custom {censored} off" paint job pedal to hopefully cover that bill? What do you reckon?
Just a late night thought whilst I am watching my chinchillas play =]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

i listed a custom-painted one-of-a-kind iMPAMP completed on the day that Katrina hit (8-29-05). the money goes to Animal Shelter Friends to help find and recover lost pets in New Orleans and surrounding areas affected by the hurricane. the painter is Laura Bennett, our newest employee.

can someone let me know if the slide show works? i can't get it to work in Safari.

the link is http://tinyurl.com/bn6d5

Katrinatest2.jpg

Katrinatop.jpg

impcoke.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by Donner

Yes well the Red Cross could probably have a pedal raffle , but a private citizen cant have one on the Red Cross behalf --- the intent doesnt matter apparantly.... Churches and other not for profits could do it, as they have fundraising in thier charters etc.....


So maybe I should become a church...... Hey maybe the Rev. could do it !

:D


Yes it was an excellent alternative idea (not mine) to auctions, but without some major modification its not going to happen, anyway I cant run it.....




Sorry for the time wasted, Ill get the money returned and throw the rest of my efforts into getting the auctions going now.........


Anyone who was only into the raffles is completely welcome to back out ........


Ill post updates as there is info to pass on....
:cool:



We could get you ordained, but in oreder for you to claim church status, you would need a congragation. ;) lol

This sux!!!:mad:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Ok, got the first auctions rollin'....

any suggestions before I start in with the other 65

I tried to keep them simple....


I also chose not to use Ebay works/Mission Fish for a few reasons......

So Im running these as my auctions ----- all the money beyond any fees I incur goes to either Red Cross/United Way or Save the Children....



thoughts / suggestions ?

Auctions Link

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Donner

Zack,

the url doesnt work here for some reason, but does on the thread you started, and t he slide show works too but it took a little while it seeemed..

 

 

i still can't make the slideshow work, but i managed to fix the link. i chose to use mission fish to absolutely guarantee that what i'm doing is 100% legal and aboveboard. i'm still perplexed by your approach to this, Donner... by accepting the funds personally, not defining a percentage of the amount that is going to charity, and not having a mechanism for accountability, you're leaving yourself wide open for harsh questioning and a lot of unnecessary hassle later, especially if something goes wrong! (and as you've noticed on this project so far, something always does... we always forget about the unforseen... that's why it's called the unforseen...)

 

keep in mind that nobody can write off anything as a donation to charity except you, and you'll be able to write off all of it... if it was me doing that, it might represent thousands in tax savings... but i don't know what tax bracket you are in. to add to the complexity, legally you're required to report all of those sales as income to the IRS, so you'll HAVE to report the donations to charity as a writeoff to eliminate that income and avoid paying taxes on it!

 

good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

All good points Zack,

The Mission Fish seems like a scam to me, I read and reread the literature, we used them for t he Tsunami auctions,
and they hold the money for 6 weeks or more ( lots of interest) !!! under t he pretense that someone might ask for a listing fee refund !!!! phhhhtttt

and Ebay still charges you thier fees and mission fish fees, yes at some point they donate them, but they get that donation write off.......


This is another thing that appealed to me about the Raffles


Let me consider your other points,,,,,,maybe I should just get the hell out of this...

;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by Donner

All good points Zack,


The Mission Fish seems like a scam to me, I read and reread the literature, we used them for t he Tsunami auctions,

and they hold the money for 6 weeks or more ( lots of interest) !!! under t he pretense that someone might ask for a listing fee refund !!!! phhhhtttt


and Ebay still charges you thier fees and mission fish fees, yes at some point they donate them, but they get that donation write off.......



This is another thing that appealed to me about the Raffles



Let me consider your other points,,,,,,maybe I should just get the hell out of this...


;)



Donner if you do decide not to host all of the auctions can you be the organizer and consolidator of all the individual auctions? You know just link the auctions? I know this is a lot of work but there are a lot of links pointing toward tonesafari.com already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by zachary vex

i listed a custom-painted one-of-a-kind iMPAMP completed on the day that Katrina hit (8-29-05). the money goes to Animal Shelter Friends to help find and recover lost pets in New Orleans and surrounding areas affected by the hurricane. the painter is Laura Bennett, our newest employee.


can someone let me know if the slide show works? i can't get it to work in Safari.


the link is
http://tinyurl.com/bn6d5


Katrinatest2.jpg

Katrinatop.jpg

impcoke.jpg


Nice job Mr. Z.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

You know what Zack, I think your right....

I dont take write offs, so it doesnt matter to me,,,
but it will to some , thats why I put t he 'I'll accept equal amount of donation' to one of those organizations...


Last time it made sense to be involved as I was painting most of the pedals myself and was the common denominator.....


But theres no reason for me to do all this this time, and like you said I could be letting myself in for a load of trouble,

I guess each builder should do as you have and do thier own auctions,,,,,,

or if someone wants to be ebaymaster and type up everything....

there could should be a central place to list all the auctions that we might be interested in......


hmmmmmm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by catalinbread



Donner if you do decide not to host all of the auctions can you be the organizer and consolidator of all the individual auctions? You know just link the auctions? I know this is a lot of work but there are a lot of links pointing toward tonesafari.com already.

 

 

 

Yeah I can do that, its a neutral place that people can track effects auctions for the cause.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Donner




Yeah I can do that, its a neutral place that people can track effects auctions for the cause.....

 

Do you want us to do this individually rather than sticking you with the burden? Let us know what you want to do and, it shall be done. All good, capable people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Donner

Yeah, individually will work,,,,, or if some folks want to help some of the builders that may not be up on ebaying......


you can post links to your auctions here .... Ill link them up with the stuff from other ofrums......

 

 

Hey Donner did you have a schedual for the auctions? That would probably be a good thing to consider for individual ebayers...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by catalinbread



Hey Donner did you have a schedual for the auctions? That would probably be a good thing to consider for individual ebayers...



Well I was going to do them in waves on mondays since my days off are Mon/Tues,,,, but it doesnt matter now...

I can put end dates on the links tho, that would likely help....

Ill stack them in descending order so the next to end is on top and then move them to completed with a total or something, that might be useful.....

Zacks is the first one up there.......;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by zachary vex

i listed a custom-painted one-of-a-kind iMPAMP completed on the day that Katrina hit (8-29-05). the money goes to Animal Shelter Friends to help find and recover lost pets in New Orleans and surrounding areas affected by the hurricane. the painter is Laura Bennett, our newest employee.

 

 

That

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...