Modding a Boss SD-1 to sound like a Fulltone FD-2?

Humbucker

• Members

i'm not sure about the fulldrive mod. i've never heard a fulldrive either.

i will say though that this mod is really great. i did it to my SD1 a couple of years ago and no matter how hard i try i can't seem to get it off of my board. that includes stints with a lovetone brown source and the red jeckyl and hyde.

anyway here is the mod as posted by forumite lucky13 a long time ago. its pretty easy to do.

for those handy with soldering irons....this mod will give your sd-1 more useable gain, better tone, better gain boost, and take away the harshness on the top end... ...this picks up where the sd-808 mod leaves off....

you'll need....

*soldering iron

*solder removal braid

*solder

*a boss sd-1

*a 10mf electrolytic cap

*a 100k resistor

*a 10 ohm resistor

*a 8 pin ic socket

*a tlo82 ic chip

*a rc4558p ic chip

*a 1n4001 rectifier diode

*a 1n4002 recto diode

*a 1n4006 recto diode

do this......

*remove r17...replace it with the 100k resistor

*remove r16...replace with 10 ohm resistor

*remove c10...replace with 10mf electro cap (22mf sounds good too...)

*remove d4...replace with 1n4001

*remove d5....replace with 1n4002

*remove d6...replace with 1n4006

*remove c6...leave empty

*remove ic1...(note orientation of ic) ...install ic socket...be careful soldering, so that each solder joint is clean....

*install rc4558p or tlo82 in socket...be sure its oriented correctly...(the dot on top of the chip should be on the top left) ROCK OUT !

a few things...

the rc4558p was stock in many of the best sounding ts-808's, and many experts like this chip BETTER than the jrc4558d....if you don't want the "mid hump" that's inherent to a "ts-808-like" circuit, try using the tlo82...you'll find that it has a flatter, more open tone....

rectifier diodes clip , to my ears, a more pleasing way than the standard clipping diodes in a sd-1 will...the fact that this mod uses 3 different diodes, and they all clip in a slightly different manner, adds some "thickness" to the overdrives tone...it also "breaks up" nicely from the lowest overdrive settings all the way to the highest...

this is a inexpensive , "easy to do" mod that will rival most boutique overdrives in tone....

• Members

OK, am I supposed to beleive that a 1N4001, 1N4002, and 1N4006 can serve different purposes in a pedal? The only difference between these three is the reverse breakdown voltage, which is 50V for worst of them.

This seems like another example of people wasting their time with mods that don't do anything.

I'm sure some of the other components change the sound, but it sure seems like people just start throwing parts at a pedal, and think it sounds better.

I have an idea, buy a Fulldrive if you want one.

I don't understand why people buy one pedal, and then pay to have someone make it sound like another. It just all seems silly to me. Buy the pedal you want.

• Members

well i'll be the first to admit that i don't really know all of the ins and outs of what the diodes do. i know that it will sound different depending on which type you use(silicone, germanium, led) etc.

i also know that what i posted was intended to be a DIY option arrived at by a fellow forumite. i also know that i did it myself and that it was a vast improvement. it cost me very little to do and is incredibly simple provided you can work a soldering iron.

in the end i think that the biggest difference was caused by the tlo82 opamp which apparently has a much flatter(for what the term is worth) response than the typical TS chip. i've tried other TS derived pedals and a bunch of others too. that particular SD1 mod works very well for me and i just wanted to spread the word. i think that its great that you can buy a 40 dollar pedal and throw 5 to 10 more bucks at it and make it compete with things that can potentially cost many more times that. really whats wrong with experimenting with some diodes when they are only a few cents each.

as i said earlier...i own a lovetone brown source which, while being a really great box, is sitting in my closet right now. not to bash other stuff but this SD1 which i modded with help of another forumite has become a big part of my playing and i'm greatful for the knowledge that was shared with me and others and wanted to pass it along yet again.

that mod did do something. and i liked it

• Members

You mean you want to make your SD-1 sound like a more versatile TS-9? ;)

I actually had a Keeley SD-1 and an FD-2 at the same time, and they sounded almost identical in the FD-2's boost mode. I didn't try them at lower-gain settings, because I didn't use them that way. I kept the SD-1 because it had a small footprint and was slightly cheaper. Probably higher quality, too, once Keeley got through with it.

• Members

NEVER FORGET INDYGUITARIST !!!

he made my sd-1 into one of the best od's i've ever heard...

WAY more versatile than any ts-9 (modded and unmodded) i've ever played.

i'm expecting my HM-2 back any day, those of you that want me to give you the details on how it sounds just lemme know.

• Members

My main issue is with changing components that don't change the tone. I did not mean to pick on you. You are correct that silicone, germanium anh other diode types will make the pedal sound different. But changin from 1N4001 to a 1N4006 will not change the sound. It the context of a pedal, anything from a 1N4001-1N4007 should have the same effect. That being said, I am willing to concede that there may be minor differences betwen the forward characteristics of these diodes, but I would suspect that those differences are the same as the batch to batch differences between the same part number.

I think it's great when people take the initiative to try things with their own pedal, and I know some of the guys out there do some mods that sound good. The issue I have is with the guys who change things that do nothing for your tone. Or the guys who tell you what you MUST have for good tone.

Tone is so subjective that it's impossible to say that changing a single part will make your pedal the best sound ever. It MAY sound different, but not always better or worse. Peolpe seem to confuse different with better. I have heard of blind tests where people try several pedals, and are sure one sounds better, or that a certain mod sounds better. Several months later they go and to the same test again, and the original pedla sounds better that time. I think we just get bored with our sound, and ANY change will sound better.

Anyway, just my opinion.

• Members

i remember back when that mod was originally posted that the subject of the diodes was brought up. most pedals that use clipping diodes come stock with all of the same type. it was discussed that the difference in those diodes is minimal but people, including myself tried it with all of the same matching number and whether it was a placebo effect or not it was generally agreed that it sounded slightly better, subjectively of course, with differing part numbers for each diode.

maybe i should attempt to make a clip. i have a stock sd1 laying around here somewhere

• Members

Hey, thanks to all for your feedback on this topic.

cusackmusic,

I agree with pretty much everything that you said but the reason that I'm not buying a Fulltone FD-2 is that I'm not in the position to come up with that kind of cash right now. And the other thing too is that I love to tinker with pedals and doing mods, I have many pedals that were basically useless to me in stock form and are now very useful after doing some really cheap mods. FWIW, I got this Boss SD-1 really cheap and I'd like get get a little bit more low-end out of it if I could, if nothing else.

• Members

Humbucker,

I think it's cool you want to play with your pedal. I just wish there were better ways of sharing this type of information, since I see alot of guys wasting time changing the wrong parts.

I also understand the funds thing. It's just that I get sick of hearing people buying one item to make it into another. Like when everybody wanted to turn their fender amp into a marshall.

I have had many people ask me to do really silly mods, and unless they insist, I tell them to go buy what they should have instead. As far as doing it yourself it makes sense, since it costs you almost nothing.

• Members

Originally posted by cusackmusic

Like when everybody wanted to turn their fender amp into a marshall.

thats just crazyness

As far as doing it yourself it makes sense, since it costs you almost nothing.

thats what i was getting at. and the whole reason i posted what i did. DIY

humbucker you should dig around on this forum also:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/

• Members

I also understand the funds thing. It's just that I get sick of hearing people buying one item to make it into another. Like when everybody wanted to turn their fender amp into a marshall.

Well, money is one reason, pedal size may be another reason, availability may be another reason, etc.

Since I'm never buying another Fulltone pedal, if he ever comes up with one I like I may want to be able to get a "copy" :D

And to use your example, didn't Marshall amps start as Fender copies? :)

• Members

I'm not sure, but buying a fender and paying a tech to make it into a marshall is kind of silly, don't you think?

Again my issue is with spending time or money with little or no return. A DYI playing with a pedal is cool. It's when they buy a pedal, and pay somebody to mod it, sometimes it's cheaper to just buy a good pedal. Sometimes not I guess?

• Members

http://www.guitarfaq.com/index_v2-7-30.html

I originally came up with that mod quite a while ago - of course since a ton of people have my book, it seems like everyone with a soldering iron is performing mods

:D

It's a fun biz. ;)

http://www.indyguitarist.com/soundclips/sd1_comparison_1004.mp3

comparison of a sd-1 f*llclone mod with the fulltone fulldrive 2.

Take care,

Brian

• Members

I'm not sure, but buying a fender and paying a tech to make it into a marshall is kind of silly, don't you think?

Again my issue is with spending time or money with little or no return. A DYI playing with a pedal is cool. It's when they buy a pedal, and pay somebody to mod it, sometimes it's cheaper to just buy a good pedal. Sometimes not I guess?

Yes, it is silly, but sometimes mods are worth it, particularly when there's a big return on a small investment. I think I paid $35 for a new Boss SD-1 a few years ago. Sounded really good, and given that I had a couple of modded TS9 pedals, I decided to get a mod for the SD-1. Since I no longer have a soldering iron or much spare time, I paid for the mod (brown mod by AnalogMan). I ended up with a great sounding pedal, and it was cheap. As mentioned above, many people do it for themselves, so it is way cheaper, and often more fun :)

As you mentioned, in some cases it does not make much sense. It can get to be too expensive compared to other available alternatives.

• Members

having owned both the sd1 and the fd2, i still have the sd1 after about 5 years, and the fd2 i sold long ago. I HATED the tone of that thing. I allways thought of modding my sd1, but theres really nothign that i dont like about it, other than the fact it doesn't do high gain od tones very well. But if you want a nice chunky, midrangy, natural sounding od, get the sd1. it's a great stock pedal.

only thing i'd like to have it modded for maybe would be more gain, and chunk, if that makes any sense. Like....i'd love to have the sd1's tone, with the bd2's gain. sort of a combo of the 2. The bd2 gets pretty far in the gain department, but the sd1 seems to reach a certain point, then afte rthat it's just muddy.

• Members

I just up the gain by using my Zoom OD paedal to boost the input to the SD-1. (Well the Wha pedals lives in the middle.

One of my best mates does something very similar with an MXR Micro amp.

In fact round here sticking a micro amp in front of a Boss OD pedal is very common.

I know it''s not clever or Boutique, but it does work and it sounds ace.

• Members

I used the Indyguitarist mod that was posted for free and used the extra values that were given for turning my SD-1 into a Bassdrive. I think it sounds fantastic!

I'm not 100% sure, but I doubt it would be much trouble to turn one of those new Behringer tube screamer clones into a fulldrive...because there's hardly any difference between an actual Fulldrive and TS circuit. Sure, you'd probably need to use a flip switch instead of the second stompswitch on the Fulldrive...and it wouldn't be true bypass...but still, not bad for $20.

• Members

Originally posted by State 6000

I used the Indyguitarist mod that was posted for free and used the extra values that were given for turning my SD-1 into a Bassdrive. I think it sounds fantastic!

I'm not 100% sure, but I doubt it would be much trouble to turn one of those new Behringer tube screamer clones into a fulldrive...because there's hardly any difference between an actual Fulldrive and TS circuit. Sure, you'd probably need to use a flip switch instead of the second stompswitch on the Fulldrive...and it wouldn't be true bypass...but still, not bad for $20.

definately possible, but the behringers are made with smd components, which are very, very, very, very very much a pain to work with.

Archived