Roland Cube - old Vs new

Boron

• Members

Hi guys -

I'm very rarely in the amp forum so I thought I'd come here to ask a question...

I'm really keen on a Roland Cube 60 amp - however I have the option of buying either the new model (with modelling, etc) or one of the old vanilla coloured ones from the 70's/80's that is actually a BASS cube 60. Anyone got any experience to offer on the older cubes?

Are there any shortfallings on the old cubes? The effects on the new one aren't really a major drawcard for me - I want something clean and warm to run effects through, and figured the old one might be a better buy if it's not inferior to the new one in terms of basic performance.

Thanks guys!

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

New!

I hate the old cube series. Awful for overdrive tones. Fake and way too compressed sounding...

You mean when running a pedal in or using the amp's own OD?

Thanks for the opinion, BTW.

• Members

Originally posted by Boron

hmmmmmm.

Remember, Roland was trying to corner the "jazz-cat" market back then. Those amps don't rock. I owned the blonde 3X10 speaker combo back in the early 90's. As soon as I got it home and put it through its paces I realized it was not gonna rock me. I took it back.

• Members

get a jansen 50 and put the 12 au7s back wheir there supposed to be and you will love it!!

anyway the solid state jazz tone on the old model is cool enough for cheep. i had one in the 80`s before selling it for a gallien kruger 250 ml

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I own both roland cube 60, old vanila and new one.

The old one has one effect, old style spring coil reverb. witch is {censored} and very low volume on the effect.

If you like old style bassy jazz then you may like the old one.

I plugged the new cube 60 from line out to main in on old cube, to use all effects from new cube.

Was good yet lacked the clarity in the high notes and frankly I was not impressed.

All in all it is your choice but me, I would go for the new cube 60.

100% better.

Archived