Boss DS-1 mods

Curt Chalmers

• Members

Hello all. I am researching a few companies that perform mods on the Boss DS-1. Based on the websites, they claim the sound to be akin to a Marshall type sound. So far, I have found three companies:

Robert Keeley

Analog Man

a firm in Indiana (can't recall the name)

Has anybody had any experience with any of these companies, specifically with the mod for the DS-1? If so, what is your feedback on their finished product?

I plan to purchase a new Fender reissue of the '65 twin. While I love the distorted sounds of the Marshalls, I have found that the cleans can't touch Fender's. This appears to be a good compromise.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Curt

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Guitar George - What kind of amp and guitar are you using? How would you describe the tone?

The unmodified DS-1 with the tone control all the way to the left doesn't sound that bad. Turning the knob adds treble which my particular amp doesn't need. It sounds scratchy and thin.

Thank you.

Curt

• Members

Originally posted by Curt Chalmers

Guitar George - What kind of amp and guitar are you using? How would you describe the tone?

The unmodified DS-1 with the tone control all the way to the left doesn't sound that bad. Turning the knob adds treble which my particular amp doesn't need. It sounds scratchy and thin.

Thank you.

Curt

Hey Curt,

I use several different guitars and a 30th Anniversary Marshall 6101 combo amp for rehearsal/club gigs. The tone of my Analogman DS-1 Super mod is much improved. The tone control has more range, the level has a little more output, the white noise is gone and it has the same killer distortion. I don't have any clips, but you can check out Analogman's website for modified DS-1 clips, here:

http://www.analogman.com/boss.htm#basics

A stock DS-1 has audio disadvantages. The tone control sounds good at around 10 0' clock. If you set it above it's shrill sounding, if it's below that, it sounds muddy. It's noisy and the level is not as strong. The distortion is still the same though. Hope this helps your purchasing decision.

Guitar George

• Members

Send me an email and I'll pass on the latest mods we have for the DS-1.

Also, our SD-1 has improved so much over the past year. We have not only a very flexible gain stage... doing anything that the other mods do, but more importantly we have a very cool fix for the bypass sound. You will not hear a distorted bleed through when the pedal is off (Especially when the pedal is off and you leave the gain up high). I am really proud of our SD-1 work.

Let me know if I can help.

rk

:D

• Members

Originally posted by RossCompress

You will not hear a distorted bleed through when the pedal is off (Especially when the pedal is off and you leave the gain up high). I am really proud of our SD-1 work.

Let me know if I can help.

rk

:D

Hi Robert, is the improved bypass achieved by raising the input resistor? and if so, is there a maximum limit to that?

Because I noticed you changed the 510k to 620k for the TS9, but why not go to 1M or 4M7?

The 4M7 is where the magic of the DOD 250 sits! (or 22M in the MXR Micro Amp... :eek: but 22M is plain insane).

Also, will changing the diodes in the DS-1 help with getting a more dynamic/pick responsive sound, or is there more to that?

• Members

Howdy bro!

No, the mods for that include a FET and a couple resistors and a diode. It further isloates the overdrive section from the output buffer when the pedal is off. Just raising the resistance somewhere didn't even come close to fixing the problem unfortunately. :(

Robert

• Members

Hey Robert,

what kind of stuff would you recommend when you have a DS-1, but you want more output and more low-end, but NO altering of the sound?

Because swapping the diodes for LEDs would probably give a {censored}load of output, but also less distortion, right?

And can you swap ANY elco for a non-polarized cap? Or should you leave some?

• Members

The easy part....to increase the output add more diodes... As long as you don't run the Distortion control really high before hand...you will find the same distortion amount, but have the added output volume in most cases.

To add bass without changing the sound....

That is hard....

I'd look at the coupling caps and caps used in the opamp gain stage. That might give you a bit of a bass boost.

That said, to do both, I'd build a FET preamp with a little bass boost circuit (a FET based 2 band EQ would do the trick and be a lot of fun to build) and tuck it into the pedal.

Thanks!

rk

Archived