OT - Your (Formerly) CD Collection and Bitrates

iodine74

• Members

For those of you guys who've ripped all your discs to MP3's or whatever.

a) What's your file format preference?

b) If mp3, what bitrate do you normally use?

I started doing my collection last weekend, I've spent probably about 6 hours ripping, and am about 1/3 of the way through my cds. Right now everything is 192kb, but I'm wondering if I should have gone higher or at least done some comparisons myself. However I didn't want too large of files, as it is between what I'm ripping and all the stuff I've downloaded, if I want to get a portable mp3 player, I'm gonna have to get something over 40 gigs if I want it all on there at once.

I'm ripping everything down at this point because I've got a 120 gig portable backup harddrive, and I think I'd like to just get rid of some of the CDs that I don't listen to much, but would like to have some of the songs aroudn still.

• Members

i have my entire CD collection, which is a lot of CD's, and I only use 25 gigs. If you think you're going to use all 40 gigs, you must have a lot of CD's, dude. I doubt many people have that much.

I use variable bitrate. It's hard to explain, but it uses the bitrate it needs depending on the music. It's the best for using the least amount of space and giving you the best sound possible. My nerd friend hooked up some programs for me to rip with so it titles and rips them in that bitrate... I don't know how to set it up really. Find a nerd friend.

It's nice not having to get up to open a CD, I have everything on my computer through some good speakers, and also on my iPod.

• Members

I'm sitting at about 13.5 gigs right now and have done about 130 discs i think. I think I have about 350 discs total.

I'd also thought about the variable bit rate thing, but it bit me in the butt a few years ago... either something I had couldn't play it or something couldn't convert it to wave so I could put it back on a cd. Granted digitial music is a heck of alot more prevalent now than then.. so finding the proper software to handle that is probably less of a big deal.

I'd be able to get everything I have on disc, plus the stuff I've downloaded (which includes a few gigs worth of live stuff) on a 40 gig player I think.... but I wouldn't have much room for growth.

The one kinda cool thing about doing all this though is rediscovering some music I haven't heard in awhile.

• Members

192 is what I've gone with. I've got a 40 GB mp3 player. When I get up to about 35 GB, the player becomes very slow to load songs. It can literally take a full 2 minutes to start a song...very annoying. So I just dump some songs and carry about 25 GB and it runs mych smoother. I've found that I put fewer full albums on the player and go more with the good songs that I like.

Archived