Songs About Sex

GuyaGuy

• Members

a certain thread (to remain named but it knows who it is!) reminded me how much i hate songs about sex.

ever noticed that it's mostly guys over 35 writing em? and that they're mostly about girls who are "sweet 16"? (hi, steve tyler!)

also, if you think it's clever to replace the names of body parts with the names of fruit, then you shouldn't be wrtiting anything at all.

then there are bands with lyrics like "i like the way you slap my ass," sung very emotionally in an eddie vedder sorta way. here's my question:

is that really what you want to communicate with the world? is that yr lasting legacy? you get a chance to "sing your life?" and you want to talk about ass-slapping?

grow fukkin' up.

• Members

I don't write songs about sex myself as I find it a bit awkward. At the same time there's lots of classics about sex.

You shook me all night long
she's got the jack (more about VD, but still)

Or Outkast who write about getting a woman off before yourself

I'll call before I come
I won't just pop over, out the blue
I hope that you do too
I'll call before I come
I won't just won't pop up over, out the blue
No after you

Prince has made a career out of it and it doesn't really bother me.

I think there's a big difference in
"I love the way you smack my ass"
and Teddy Pendegras singing "turn off the lights"

I guess overall, I just find subject material to be completely irrelevant in a song. It's how well you write about the subject that will make me listen to it repeatedly.

• Members
Originally posted by Thelonius

I guess overall, I just find subject material to be completely irrelevant in a song. It's how well you write about the subject that will make me listen to it repeatedly.

i think i sort of agree. but...

1.) most sex songs are just juvenelia.
2.) i'd prefer a song to be nothing at all. frank black did that well. he even threw in some sex now and again.
3.) blues musicians did it a WHOLE lot better and w/ tongue in cheek: "your southern can is mine," "squeeze my lemon," "i prefer your cookin to my home-baked bread" "gonna get under yr hood and tangle w/ yr wires." now that's sex talk that'll put a smile on yr face! :) but also it was 60-70 years ago. doing it now is sort of like a girl baring her knees. it's not shocking or original.

• Members

Well, I just heard an amazing one tonight. We have digital cable (a package of internet, cable, and phone), and we get free HBO in demand. Anyway, there was this New Zealand group doing a comedy show; two guys on acoustic guitars (until one of them pulled out a keytar for the final tune). Anyway, they're called Flight of the Conchords and they did a tune called "Business Time" (which I've since found out they recently played on Conan...I found a link for it if anyone wants to see it)...Anyway, it's {censored}in' great. Hilarious stuff.

Me, I more write about other bodily functions such as pee and poo, or at least I did tonight. I was messing around on the acoustic for my daughter and I asked her what I should play and she said "Pee pee. And poo poo, TOO!" So, I wrote a little song about it. Not half bad, either.

Archived