Echoplex...should I?

Hell_Tanner

• Members

hell yahy, jesus dude, buy the {censored}in thing.....try and get a couple day return thing if it's REALLY {censored}ed up...but 90% of the time, it's that they are filthy....clean the heads, demag them (get a tape head demagnetizer....trust...) and if the output is still low, it's probably out of alignment.
there's all kinds of echoplex stuff...schematics, manual, alignment procedures etc...on my website:
Pink Jimi Photon's Website....echoplex content...
have at it!
even if the heads are {censored}ed up, you can replace them fairly inexpensively.
i say goferit, dude...

• Members

dude, you cannot go wrong....may cost ya some time and a few bux, but it's worth it...
hint: buy up all the {censored}in' 1/4 inch tape you can find, now...cuz quantegy no longer makes it...old 8 tracks and PSA's like used at radio stations work great, because they are designed to work well with loops...you will be rolling your own in no time, beats paying dunlop for {censored} and waiting....my last order for echoplex cartiridges never did get delivered, three years after the order...the freekin store's been gone for 5 years now, so i won't hold my breath....8 years is long enough, one would think, for Dunlop's lame ass shipping department to get off it's phat {censored}ing ass, one would think, huh???
anyways, have fun, contact me if ya need to.
glad you like mey website.
peace
jimi photon

• Members

I own an EP-2 and an EP-3. At least one will probably go on the market soon, I just don't use them. Maybe I'll pick up a TTE with the proceeds.

The fact is, the SS models (EP-3, EP-4) can be a bitch to maintain. It is difficult to find a tech that willl even touch, them, most have to ship them off. When Mine acted up, it traveled from Wash., DC to Nashville, TN to Chapel Hill, NC and back to DC (where local playing legend Tommy Lepson finally fixed the problem). And forget ever finding a replacement cabinet if yours is damaged.

It isn't hard to knock them out of whack when taking them to a gig, which makes them unreliable for live use.

They have a obvious hiss that makes them impractical for recording use.

I love their tone, nothing (and I mean nothing) nails a Echoplex tone. But, I use a Boss DM-2 for all my dealy these days, it's super quiet and a lot more reliable.

I recommend buying one for a good price, because they are so unique sounding and you might love it. But, if it is an EP-3 and acting up already, I wouldn't sink more than $250 into it.

-Y.

• Members

Originally posted by pinkjimiphoton

hint: buy up all the {censored}in' 1/4 inch tape you can find, now...cuz quantegy no longer makes it...

Not exactly true according to this from usrecordingmedia.com:

IMPORTANT UPDATE:::: Sept 12, 2005: For the time being, the only open reel tape stock we have is made by Quantegy. No Emtec, no BASF, no 3M, no Maxell open reel. Quantegy is making open reel tape, and is currently attempting to build some inventories, but this might take a while to get everything back to normal.

NEW TAPE MANUFACTURER IN PENNSYLVANIA: The plant is secured. The permits are approved. (This is a big obstacle!) The equipment is being tweeked according to our intrepid roving reporter. We're looking forward to this tape. The first production tape should be available in late Summer 2005. Our feeling is ATR Magnetics could eventually gain a large share of open reel product sold, since they have some of the best people around working on it, and ATR Magnetics' people have excellent reputations in the recording industry. This isn't to diminish what Quantegy is doing, but it's good to see more than one quality tape manufacturer considering the mess everyone was left with in January.

Archived