New Fuzz suggestions?

JeffreyCH

• Members

Hi, I own the following dirt/fuzz/dist/drive boxes:

Keeley Fuzz Head

Keeley Vintage Rat

Keeley TS9

Fuzz Face (Dallas Arbiter England - purhased in early 90's)

H&K Tube Factor

Big Muff Pi USA reissue (going back to GC soon)

I'm looking for a fuzz like the Big Muff, but one that is less noisy and has more useable sounds. I don't consider the Fuzz Head an all out fuzz pedal, but it's a great pedal and is staying on my board. I like the insane fuzz/distortion sounds that Jack White uses while playing live - somehow he is limiting the noise. I've heard he uses a Big Muff - probably an original I guess. I've been listening to clips of the ICBM, and Zero and was wanting suggestions from those of you who have experience with either/both of these pedals. Also, do any of you recommend using a noise gate? Is that necessary with these boutique fuzzes? Thanks for your help...

• Members

Originally posted by JeffreyC

ICBM and Zero users??? Do you guys use a noise gate with these?

I do not use a noise gate with the Zero. The pedal is not dead silent, but the noise is so minimal, even when cranked, that you will not notice it in any crucial way. I've got the Fuzz Head as well. While the Fuzz Head is great in its own way, the Zero more fully represents what I was hoping for in my fuzz pedal. I am still in the honeymoon phase, but I would whole-heartedly recommend the Zero for your muffish fuzzy needs.

• Members

Thanks Passerby. That's exactly the kind of input I'm looking for - anyone on the ICBM side? Anyone have experience with both. I'm just looking to make an informed decision. It's not likely that I'll be able to try these out before I buy and they are expensive.

• Members

Yeah, but you read em anyway, don't you?:)

Almost forgot I had something useful to say. I have the fuzz factory, and it sounds amazing straight into my Mark III. Don't be put off by people calling it a crazy pedal. It can make those crazy noises, but it can also pump out some amazing, useful tones.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by thebazaar

The Fuzz Factory is awesome, but requires a lot of patience in taming. It took me close to a year to get ready to gig with the thing confidently.

Plenty of good Muff clones tho:

Skreddy Zero

Euthymia ICBM

Frantone The Sweet

Effector 13 Silvercrank

Silver Crank is not a muff clone.

devi-

• Members

I own an ICBM. I've had it for about a week now, and I don't use a noise gate. It isn't super silent, noise free, but its a fuzz, and its not that noisy for a fuzz. If you crank the volume knob, you'll get a boost. If it's too loud, there's a simple solution for that, turn the volume knob down. It can get extremely fuzzy, and I that's exactly what I want out of it. I'm not sure if its the perfect fuzz pedal for me, but then again, I'm never satisified with anything. I've never tried a zero so I can't comment how it compares to that; however, it is a lot more fuzzy than my green muff gets. Definitely worth checking out.

Archived