My gig was a disaster last night thanks to me & my pedals.

mightysasquatch

• Members

We were the middle band of a triple bill last night. I played like {censored}.

My rig last night.

Gibson SG Standard (& a Fender Stratocaster on 2 songs)

EHX Mini Q-Tron

Lovepedal Magicboy Vibe

USA Big Muff

DD-20 (stereo out)

A: Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 1x12

B: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12

First of all, I sing lead and play guitar in a power trio, so I already have enough on my mind without tapdancing like a marionette on a string. I have had good luck using the sampler on the DD-20 for looping progressions in rehearsal, but last night, I could not get it right, and the delay {censored}ed up my phrasing. My Big Muff sounded like {censored} and I ended up using my Mesa's distortion after the third song. The two amps didn't work well together because I could not control them simultaneously, and with one dirty and one clean it sounded really bad. I used the Q-Tron on one song, and hated the cliched way it sounded. To top it off, the Magicboy sounded good, but the band before us had used a Phase 90 a lot, and I was hesitant to use the Lovepedal because I wanted us to stand out, and I knew the band following us used a phaser too. After the first five songs, I plugged my guitar straight into my Mesa, and played the second half just using it's dirt and boost, with a little reverb. We got back on track then, but it wasn't enough to save the set.

I'm giving the Fender amp back to my friend, and returning the DD-20 (it is awesome, it's just doesn't work for me), the Q-Tron, and the Big Muff. I think I am going to sell my Lovepedal, and use that money, plus the money from the pedals I returned to buy a new H & K Rotosphere. I use a Vibe/Leslie sound a lot, but I don't want a phasey vibe as so many other local bands use that sound.

I think Gibson SG > Rotosphere > Mesa/Boogie Nomad 45 1x12

is what I need to get the sound I want. I will get all my dirt, clean boost, and reverb from the amp..........

{censored}, last night sucked badly.

No, I sucked.

:mad:

• Members

Wow. And after all the contemplation and advice asked. That is too bad man. Perhaps it was just too soon to introduce all those new variables into your rig at once? I disagree that the Magic Vibe sounds like a Phase 90. What speed did you have it going at? As for the delay, did you try just setting it to a simple couple of repeats and use the tap tempo so that it fit each song? Seems like you are taking some drastic measures in dumping all these things due to one gig. Maybe you just need some time tweaking them and making them fit. I mean, you were ecstatic about the Vibe, ecstatic about the delay, etc. Perhaps you can find the fit for them with some more time.

• Members

I am in the same position as you. My band is a trio and I sing and tap dance with a looping pedal. We have not played out yet, but I hope to be steady enough with all the same set-up long before we do.

I couldn't imagine handling all those tasks without being very comfortable with my rig. I think you threw a monkey wrench into your set up.

I wouldn't give up. I would practice heavily with the rig you want to make the music you want. Don't "dumb" it down just to make it easier. I say go for it, but be prepared.

• Members

Before you abandon everything... That could be a really nice rig once you get the hang of it.

I think everyone has a gig like that at some point. It's really, really hard to adjust on the fly during a show, and the frustration that wells up from the stage time you waste sweating these things only makes it harder.

If you have some time between gigs, get in a lot of rehearsal hours, and get everything set up the way you want it, and figure out why you like it that way -- so that by sound check, you know what adjustments to make as you set up for a show. Because by the time the audience is there, it's too late to even think about your rig -- you should be concentrating 100% on the show.

You're probably right to rethink using loops a lot, though -- that can be incredibly stressful stuff, and when the drummer gets a bad monitor mix (which is always the case), and you've had a couple beers, things can go bad quickly.

But buck up and lesson learned and stiff upper lip and all that. Just be aware of how it has to sound on stage and show up to the sound check early, every time.

• Members

I do like the Lovepedal a lot (Arjae, I used it at the three o'clock setting, so pretty fast), and the DD-20 kicks ass. However, the DD-20 is just too much it seems. Using it to loop and for delays is a lot to think about while playing and singing. I had the delays tempo'd correctly before hand, so that wasn't the problem, it's just that they threw off my phrasing because I kept waiting for them to finish before playing the next line for some reason. I guess I just didn't want to "interrupt" myself. Lol....
The Q-Tron is something I just don't need in retrospect, and the Big Muff is made redundant by my Boogie's excellent overdrive/distortion. I will play with it some more, but last night was horrible.
I may keep the Lovepedal (it is great), and return everything else for a new guitar. We will see.......

• Members

i wouldnt ditch everything yet, maybe drop the qtron and muff for now, but keep hold of them

basically i think you just need more practise with the setup, just to get more used to the looper and playing with it alongside the rest of the band, some practise would go a long way and could sound awesome one you have it dialled
same goes for the multi amp setup, you know what happened there, so work on fixing it in the next few practises so you know exactly how to dial it for any gig/venue easily enough, if you didnt lieke the complete contrast of fender cleans/mesa dirt, possibly adding a bit of gain to the fender (pedal or whatever) could be awesome, or even just dropping its volume a little/re eq'ing it so it sit a bit further back in the mix
things like the magicboy/qtron/muff, maybe dropping them out for the moment until you have everythign esle sorted would be a good idea, then when you are used to the rest bring them back in and see what you can do

basically a bit more practise and time spent dialling everything in

everyone has bad gigs though, its inevitable, so just note what went wrong and work on gettnig it sorted

David

• Members

No Blaghaus, I don't. I only use the delay on three songs, and with four presets, I saved the three delay sounds I need, plus the "ring mod" in preset four for another song. Makes things simple, in theory if not practice.

I think today I will set up my SG > DD-20 (just as a signal splitter) > the amps, and get a great amp sound at stage volume. Then work on the DD-20 and get it set up correctly. Then introduce the Lovepedal, then Big Muff, then Q-Tron. I think the big problem was setting it up in practice at rehearsal volume, then cranking the volume onstage led to stuff being wonky.

I really like this rig in rehearsal, and I only use each effect on a couple of songs, so they are not all on every song or anything.
This rig gives me a lot of different tones to help fill out our trio's sound. Now if it would just co-operate. :mad:

The Q-Tron and Big Muff may not make it into the final rig though. We will see........

• Members

Originally posted by SASQUATCH

I think the big problem was setting it up in practice at rehearsal volume, then cranking the volume onstage led to stuff being wonky.

Yes. That's always a factor.

I used to play in the same place every weekend, so we used the same gear each night, and the gear stayed in that location. We still had to do sound-checks each night.

If you have your effects set up at band practice, you still need to set them up for a gig. The more experience you acquire, the easier this will become. I had the fortune of playing in the same place for the most part, but good sound people usually know how to anticipate what will sound good. For example, they know how to tweak eq. or reverb in an empty venue considering how the sound will be effected once people fill the place.

Also, when the delay needs to be precise, you need to use precise tempos. Our drummer had the BPM settings for each song when we created our set lists, and he used a Roland R8 for reference.

• Members

For my last few gigs, mainly due to lack of stage space, ive been using two pedals- Fuzz Factory and Super Hard On. Ive been getting on pretty well.

When i owned my Muff, i hated the way it sounded above bedroom volumes. Not sure why. But stuff like the fuzz factory and frantone peachfuzz come to life at higher volumes. Sound so much fuller. I think this is where the argument for boutique gear lies.

Delay i find hard to use live. Especially stereo delay. Are you the only guitarist? Delay, again this is what i feel, tends to sound a lot better when only one guitarist is present or is playing.

Also, dont listen to your effects from a guitarists' point of view. At my Sat night gig i thought the big Muse-like fuzz sound was a bit much-esp. with my few ripoffs of Matt Bellamy licks. But the reception from the crowd was great. Most of the time, you could play the cheesiest chorus dripped, envelope funked, wah layered guitar sound and be so ashamed of it and the crowd will actually love it.

Last point-When you play {censored}, its natural to not enjoy your sound either. Dont be too hasty, unless there is a timeframe for returning the gear. Take some time, crank the amp a little today, play with your effects, get the drummer around and sequence some delay runs. Whatever. One bad night usually drives you to play a lot better at later gigs, and half the time the crowd hardly notices.

Rock on

• Members

Don't let ONE BAD NITE decide your fate.
Take that exact same rig and use it at your next two or three gigs before throwing the towel in on it.
Ask your bandmates what they thought of your input that nite. Normally the mistakes we make, that make us gringe, are never realized by the audience, and probably only half noticed by the band.
It could have been a bad nite, but give it another chance.

• Members

I made some progress last night.

I plugged my SG into the DD-20 (simply as a signal splitter, no delay) then into the Mesa & Fender amps.

Simply put, the two amps don't like each other. I don't like Hot Rod series amps anyway (I used to have a DeVille 2x12), and this
one is on loan from a friend. My Mesa sounds great, but when combined with the Fender it is way too shrill/trebly sounding. I tried EQing the amps differently, but no matter what I tried, no luck. They just didn't play nice together. Just for kicks, I paired the Mesa with my friends Carvin half stack, and then with his Marshall 1x12 tube combo. Nope, no matter what I paired it with, the Mesa hated it. By itself though, it sounds fantastic.
It has three channels and plenty of power, so I don't NEED another amp, I just wanted to run stereo once I got the DD-20.
So I ran my SG into my pedalboard with all 4 pedals on it, then into the Mesa.
It sounded MUCH better. I still need to practice more with the DD-20's sampler and delays, but everything else sounded good, the Big Muff in particular sounded a million times better. So I guess it was the amp combination at stage volume that sounded so bad, not the pedals, (though the amps work o.k. at lower volume).
I also tried it with my Stratocaster, and once again, MUCH better.
I am returning the Hot Rod Deluxe to my friend tonight.
I guess my Mesa is a jealous bitch, but man do I love it. :D
The jury is still out on the Mini Q-Tron, but I have 45 days too return it to MF.

• Members
Originally posted by SASQUATCH

We were the middle band of a triple bill last night. I played like {censored}.

My rig last night.

Gibson SG Standard (& a Fender Stratocaster on 2 songs)

EHX Mini Q-Tron

Lovepedal Magicboy Vibe

USA Big Muff

DD-20 (stereo out)

A: Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 1x12

B: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12

First of all, I sing lead and play guitar in a power trio, so I already have enough on my mind without tapdancing like a marionette on a string. I have had good luck using the sampler on the DD-20 for looping progressions in rehearsal, but last night, I could not get it right, and the delay {censored}ed up my phrasing. My Big Muff sounded like {censored} and I ended up using my Mesa's distortion after the third song. The two amps didn't work well together because I could not control them simultaneously, and with one dirty and one clean it sounded really bad. I used the Q-Tron on one song, and hated the cliched way it sounded. To top it off, the Magicboy sounded good, but the band before us had used a Phase 90 a lot, and I was hesitant to use the Lovepedal because I wanted us to stand out, and I knew the band following us used a phaser too. After the first five songs, I plugged my guitar straight into my Mesa, and played the second half just using it's dirt and boost, with a little reverb. We got back on track then, but it wasn't enough to save the set.

I'm giving the Fender amp back to my friend, and returning the DD-20 (it is awesome, it's just doesn't work for me), the Q-Tron, and the Big Muff. I think I am going to sell my Lovepedal, and use that money, plus the money from the pedals I returned to buy a new H & K Rotosphere. I use a Vibe/Leslie sound a lot, but I don't want a phasey vibe as so many other local bands use that sound.

I think Gibson SG > Rotosphere > Mesa/Boogie Nomad 45 1x12

is what I need to get the sound I want. I will get all my dirt, clean boost, and reverb from the amp..........

{censored}, last night sucked badly.

No,
I
sucked.

:mad:

sounds like you had to must in the pot less is more also NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER change what you all ready set up that's when the problems begins!!!!

• Members

The amps are in phase, the speakers on both move out simultaneously, (my friend thought of that, I never would have). Thanks for the idea though.

sounds like you had to must in the pot less is more also NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER change what you all ready set up that's when the problems begins!!!!

Ummmm, what?

Archived