if you write a cheesy riff, do you embrace it or reject it's sorry ass?

alloowishus

• Members

Originally posted by alloowishus

i ask you, cause i just wrote one, and oh how I love it so .... it's kinda catchy too ....

run with it, or crush the thing.

I forget which guy, but on that jam thing jcn did, the Fender Blender chaos made me crack up. It seemed needed. So maybe your pretty riff needs something ugly or needful setting by its side there...

• Members

actually, i run it through a dd-5 set on reverse and it sounds very cool, i probably wouldn't play it without that. i usually have little switches in my head that lets me know if i'm playing something original or copying somebody else. i hate it when I copying someone else, but sometimes you do have to run with it.

• Members

Originally posted by alloowishus

but shouldn't we strive for innovation?

In the right context, total cheese can be absolultely innovative.

Anyway, no, we shouldn't strive for innovation. We should strive for getting every idea fleshed out into something that is worth hearing. Innovation is a byproduct.

That puts me and elctmist pretty squarely in the middle of the Stravinsky/Schoenberg dialectic. But I digress.

• Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

Depends what you mean by cheesy.

I'd totally go with it.

Sweet Child O mine was a goof riff from Slash and it evolved into that tune and it's worth a million bucks or more.

i heard that when it was turned into a song he couldn't believe it, it is a pretty obnoxious riff, fortunately it happens to have one of the best guitar solos in all the panteon of rawck.

• Members

In my books, cheesy has its place, but usually that means it's being used in a non-cheesy way. For example, I love that acoustic part that sounds all campfire-ish with other oddities over top of it right before that crazy ring mod robo guitar part on NIN's The Becoming from The Downward Spiral.

Archived