Proud new owner of a Bad Monkey pedal here.

Humbucker

• Members

Proud new owner of a Bad Monkey pedal here.

I just pulled the trigger on a DigiTech Bad Monkey Overdrive pedal this afternoon. It was priced $89.00(Canadian) which is what they go for here in Canada BTW but then I noticed a few small dings in the paint and pointed this out to the salesman he then said that he'd knock off $20.00, to which I said hell yes!

Plus I happened to have a $50.00 gift certificate that I won at a guitar clinic last night, so I only had to shell out $30.00 Canadian. I guess it was meant to be, heh heh.

Oh yeah, it's one of the "Made in the USA" models too, I doubt that makes any difference though. I would have bought the offshore version anyway but this has more mojo perhaps.

8^)

Now, I'll have to go put it through its paces.

• Members

One thing that's a little peculiar on my Bad Monkey pedal though is that two of the four hex bolts that bolt the bottom plate to the pedal are missing, all I have are two hex bolts that are diagonal from each other.

This can't be normal, somebody in the music store must have been tinkering with this thing and tried to open it, for whatever reason. DigiTech wouldn't have been so cheap to only use two screws to fasten the bottom plate would they?

• Members

Well it was the only one that they had on hand so I'm not going to get too worked up about it. I can find a couple of machine screws easy enough.

I'm not going to return this one because it's one of the rare USA Bad Monkeys with that extra 10% mojo in the tone.
8^)

• Members

I found out what the scoop was with the missing screws BTW, it turns out that it was a demo model that was mounted on a display board with other DigiTech pedals. When they remove the pedals from the board those two screws are too long and they get thrown away. It also didn't have a box, that explains everything.

• Members

Well, I just finished putting in a few loud hours down here in the basement trying out this Bad Monkey pedal and I'm very pleased with it indeed!

BTW, I did A/B it next to my modded Boss SD-1 pedal and they are pretty much different animals to be honest. They both sound great but my Boss SD-1 is almost identical in sound to a TS-9 but the Bad Monkey on the other hand is much more neutral. The Bad Monkey basically just puts a nice warm crunch over your natural guitar tone, it makes me think of the Marshall amps that you can hear on early AC/DC recordings. I love the the fact that it has two tone control knobs too, you can really fine tune your sound.

I also A/B'ed the Bad Monkey with a Tonebone Classic, Barber Direct Drive, original Marshall Guv'nor, Boss Blues Driver, modded Ibanez TS-9, modded Boss Metal Zone. I can't say that any one of these pedals is better than another, just different that's all.

Just my two cents.

Archived