Do you find your music boring?

phishmarisol

• Members

I pretty much play 2 distinct types of music...ambient and "pop" rock. When I listen back to the ambient I usually dig it, not always, but usually...often more than when I was playing it. I have more fun actually playing the rock though. But when I listen back to it I am freaking bored. I don't know if it is just because it is me on guitar without other instruments or vocals or if my music is just boring. Kinda sucks when you are having so much fun playing it and just thinking how great it all is and then you listen to it and go "man, if i am bored with this there is no way anyone else could dig it". So after that happened tonight I trashed everything I have recorded, ambient {censored} included. Got rid of the files online, on my HD, my "masters", everything. I think I will regret it later but I think it takes a bit of "madness" sometimes as well to be an artist. I'm very much in a mood where I just want to sell all my {censored} and buy some cd's. :(

• Members

I think it's like singing. Certain voices suit certain styles better even if the singer enjoys singing other styles/genres more.

The other issue is whether you're playing with your own creative energy and thus sounding more original rather than "same ol' same 'ol" and hence boring.

Life's confusing.:(:p

• Members

I wouldn't say I find myself "boring," but I definitely enjoy my own playing more when I'm playing it then when I listen to a recorded version of myself. It's a little surreal for me to listen to myself play, so maybe I just can't be bored with myself. THough When I listen to some of those recording, some of those mistakes that I simply brushed off when I was playing are extremely noticable. You ever hit a wrong note (or a couple in a row) and then turn into a melody, in the classic jazz sense of course. Well sometimes that can sound {censored}ing awful. Yeah, I really need to stop doing that. I've also noticed when I listen to myself playing it doesn't seem raw to me then, more unpolished.

Guest Anonymous

I pretty much enjoy 99% of what I write and always go back to it rocking like I did the first time I wrote it. The only thing I don't enjoy about my music is the incomplete demo's that just need to be recorded better.

• Members

not boring but i think our/my stuff is too simple...

to much songs with verse refrain verse refrain guitar solo verse refrain scheme

too simple chord progressions, too simple songs with only two chords aso...

my personal goal is to make not too simple music and i know at this point of time it is not possible to write genius music cause of the lack of abilities of all our band members and myself, but we are improving and we all want the change and want to become better and so is our music

this is what drives us makeing music, to make the expierience what we are able doing next, to see our selves evolve in technik, in our abilities and in our music

and sure its sometimes depressing to find out that the improvements of the last couple of weeks are not that big, but it can change with the next idea of the next song, and it does sometimes quicker, sometimes it takes a little more time

• Members

Yeah, another one for not boring.

I know what you mean, but the only judge i really have for everything I wirte and play and the other guys in the band play is 'would I want to listen to this?', 'why should anyone listen to this?', 'would anyone pay to listen to this?'.

if it passes these tests then you shouldn't generally feel bored listening to it yourself. But I don't listen ot our stuff a great deal because you move on.

I listened to an ep we did 5 years ago on friday and it had a certain mojo, good ideas, it was just slightly poor in its execution. It proves we have made progress.

anyway, ....not bored. :D

• Members

Yes. I think every musician who writes their own stuff gets sick of it. I think that even the biggest bands go through that, though.

I just gave a fresh listen to some of my original stuff last night and it felt good. I was pretty bored of it a couple weeks back. Practicing them hasn't gotten boring yet, but we are only a couple months into this band. I told the drummer that eventually we are all gonna be sick of practicing these songs.

• Members
Originally posted by phishmarisol

I pretty much play 2 distinct types of music...ambient and "pop" rock. When I listen back to the ambient I usually dig it, not always, but usually...often more than when I was playing it. I have more fun actually playing the rock though. But when I listen back to it I am freaking bored. I don't know if it is just because it is me on guitar without other instruments or vocals or if my music is just boring. Kinda sucks when you are having so much fun playing it and just thinking how great it all is and then you listen to it and go "man, if i am bored with this there is no way anyone else could dig it". So after that happened tonight I trashed everything I have recorded, ambient {censored} included. Got rid of the files online, on my HD, my "masters", everything. I think I will regret it later but I think it takes a bit of "madness" sometimes as well to be an artist. I'm very much in a mood where I just want to sell all my {censored} and buy some cd's.
:(

Wow. Kafka asked his sister to do that for him...but she didn't.

One day I will probably wish I did the same. But I keep all the stupid stuff, partly to remember the humble ({censored}ty) roots.

Anyway, I do agree with your thought that this sort of madness is perhaps necessary. I got fed up with my own {censored}, and I just quit writing for about ten years (no kidding). Never pushed it. Now "it" -- writing songs -- is back.
And I find myself a lot calmer and more sober about the whole process. I no longer feel like I am trying to write the song that will "top" all others.

Anyway, I think if you're pushing it's a good idea to stand back. And it is never a bad idea to do more listening.

Take a deep breath I guess. Enjoy your clean slate. And good luck. Hope you're back at it soon.

• Members

i'm always surprised and grateful when someone digs my music,
cuz i always find myself thinking it's a wee bit lame....and i have a hell of a time with guitar solos in particular...put me in front of people, it's like cake to wail for 3 or 4 hours, put me in a recording situation and i just plain don't know where to start sometimes.
i think sometimes when ya get that kinda feeling, it's the music itself trying to let you know it's alright, lol..

Archived