Please suggest a new combo amp?

fuzzface71

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzface71

That's my only problem with it. My AC30 is 30 watts and the Blues Deluxe is 40. Though the AC30 has 2 speakers.

Well, you could throw a lower gain preamp tube in V1, and that would help. Plus, I CAN get great sounds at lower volumes, but just wanted to emphasize that it'll do the job at louder gigs when called upon. With the master on 4-5 and drive down to 2-3 I still get nice crunch at lower volumes.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by FLYING V 83

Well, you could throw a lower gain preamp tube in V1, and that would help. Plus, I CAN get great sounds at lower volumes, but just wanted to emphasize that it'll do the job at louder gigs when called upon. With the master on 4-5 and drive down to 2-3 I still get nice crunch at lower volumes.

My old roomate has one and I've tried it here at home only. So, I really can't compare it with the Vox which was at the jam space most of the time. Though, I love the tone of it. I'm just worried because a few people complains about reliability issues with the BD.:confused:

• Members

Why do guys hate those devilles? How many watts does it pump? My old bandmate had a reissue reverbrocket. I hated it! He sold it and was happier with a peavey classic 30.
:D

They're just bland amps, I couldn't go from a Vox to a Deville, I trade the AC30 for an AC15 before I did that.

The reissue Reverbrocket isn't remotely similar to the original. They're probably closer to the Devilles than they are to the original Ampegs.

DJ

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

The reissue Reverbrocket isn't remotely similar to the original. They're probably closer to the Devilles than they are to the original Ampegs.

DJ

That's what I hear about the difference between the original ampeg.

Ok you've convinced me that the DV's suck. :)

• Members

Go for the Deluxe Reverb. The break up at reasonable volumes but can get pretty loud for 22 watts. They take pedals really well so the lack of a second channel is not an issue.

I have friend who was contemplating a HRDeville for recording his band's latest CD. He borrowed my Deluxe Reverb, fell in love, and recorded the whole CD with it. This guy was adamant about needing a second channel. Now he's looking for a Deluxe. ;)

• Members

To be honest I'm confused by this thread.

Do you like the sound you have with that the AC30? JUST TOO LOUD? The obvious answer is to trade for an AC15.

Want a Fender Sound? Trade the Vox for a silverface Deluxe Reverb, or a RI if you find a good one.

More aggressive? HiWatt 20 or one of those Marshall 18 clones. Or an old Supro or Gretsch.

More rich clean power an accepable volume, 60s Ampeg Rocket or Gemini.

But if you just have amp ennui, find $100-150 and get a cheap off-brand tube combo. Harmony or Alamo, that kinda thing. And keep the Vox.

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

To be honest I'm confused by this thread.

Do you like the sound you have with that the AC30? JUST TOO LOUD? The obvious answer is to trade for an AC15.

Want a Fender Sound? Trade the Vox for a silverface Deluxe Reverb, or a RI if you find a good one.

More aggressive? HiWatt 20 or one of those Marshall 18 clones. Or an old Supro or Gretsch.

More rich clean power an accepable volume, 60s Ampeg Rocket or Gemini.

But if you just have amp ennui, find $100-150 and get a cheap off-brand tube combo. Harmony or Alamo, that kinda thing. And keep the Vox.

The main reason really is CASH. I need it bad! Problem is, I have a band that gigs max 3 gigs a month (for now anyways) plus, 3-2 times weekly jams. I love my Vox and have been using it for 5 years, but sometimes volume is an issue in jams and shows. I got a great offer and was thinking of using half or 75% of the money to get a decent replacement. New and hopefully something used. Hope that this is clearer.

• Members

That's my only problem with it. My AC30 is 30 watts and the Blues Deluxe is 40. Though the AC30 has 2 speakers.

The Vox is class A, the Blues Deluxe is A/B. 30 watts class A tends to be a lot louder than A/B. A 30 watt class A amp can usually keep up with a 100 watt A/B head, no problem.

• Members

Originally posted by Ivor The Engine Driver

This is a shop by my house that has one for $400.
Check the "Used/Vintage" link -- it's a Hiwatt Custom 20, tube, 1x10. If the single speaker is an issue, go to avatarspeakers.com and get a cheap but good cabinet to go with it.

Cool prices on that link! Thanks.

Have you ever played the Hiwatt? Does it cut-thru enough? :confused:

• Members

I had a HR Deville. It was nice on the clean channel, but the drive channels are useless IMO. But the clean channel is very pedal freindly, like most Fenders

I picked up a '72 Fender Pro Reverb on ebay for $600. Think of a 40 Watt Twin. I had it blackfaced and re-tubed by Blackie Pagano in NYC and eventually changed the worn out Utah speakers to Eminence Screamin' Eagles. I was pretty bummed though. It came with the original RCA tubes, but they were worn to {censored} and cracked. But I have to say, I love this amp more than any I've ever played.

If you can find a pre master volume pro reverb ('74 and earlier I think), there are pretty much blackface anyway. CBS didn't mess with the pro reverb too much until '75.

• Members

Right now I have the option of using this cabinet

271.jpg

with this head

450.jpg

it's my roomate's!
:)

What do you guys think?
:D

I had an Acoustic 450 and an Avatar 1x15 that I used for bass. Was a great bass rig, if not loud enough at times.

The very few times I used it for guitar, though, I absolutely hated it with a passion. Could in large part be due to the 1x15, but still.... Just my 2 pennies. YMMV

• Members

Originally posted by Ivor The Engine Driver

I had an Acoustic 450 and an Avatar 1x15 that I used for bass. Was a great bass rig, if not loud enough at times.

The very few times I used it for guitar, though, I absolutely hated it with a passion. Could in large part be due to the 1x15, but still.... Just my 2 pennies. YMMV

Actually my roomate is a bass player and bought this amp thinking that it was a bass amp, until he found out recently, that it is a guitar amp.

I tried it a few weeks ago with my guitar. Sounds huge, but yeah very mediocre at best specially the distortion. :)

• Members

The Hot Rod amps suck more than a "Joanie Loves Chachie" marathon.

They use these stupid pots where all of the volume occurs between 1 and 3 on the dial. In other words, turning the volume to 3 is the same as putting it on 10. It is WAY too loud. The o.d. channel sucks, they are heavy, and you can buy better amps for the same price.

I recommend a Mesa/Boogie combo, but I am a HUGE Mesa fan.

The Deluxe Reverb or Blues Deluxe are good choices too.

So is that HiWatt.

Archived