Please suggest a new combo amp?

fuzzface71

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

do not buy a deville :(

i'd go for either a deluxe reverb or a vibrolux... 22watts 1x12 and 40watts 2x10 respectively. both would be fantastic for your type of playing imo

you might want to look into a hayseed if you want to keep the vox tone... you can go with a 1x12 combo, master volume.. plus a half power switch comes with it. that would be a killer amp :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by fuzzface71

I might get rid of my Vox soon. I need something a bit lower watt, but would still have the same power. Fender amps maybe? What kind of amps does those guys from The Strokes use? Deville's?
:confused:

What the heck does "lower watt,but the same power" mean? I don't get it. And what model of Vox? And why would you want a Deville?

• Members

Dude, you've been saying that about the Vox for... years now (wow, time flies).

Anyways, I think that the Strokes use Fender Tweed amps. Which is a pretty good choice.

Right now I'm hankering big time for an amp with crunch. Maybe I could pick up an inexpensive Soldano head or something - Soldanos seem to have fallen deeply out of favor.

• Members

Originally posted by Ivor The Engine Driver

Strokes use Fender Hot Rods - at least they did for their first album... so does Franz Ferdinand and the Killers.

Be cooler than them -- if you're getting rid of the Vox, get something like a Supro or an Ampeg with some spooky-ass reverb.

Yeah

Those 4X10 Hot Rod Devilles. Alright clean tones but nothing great IMO.

I agree with Ivor, a 60s ampeg would be a great choice, something like a Reverborocket. Nice rich clean tones and lovely reverb.

Of course selling the Vox would net you enough to net a nice silverface Deluxe Reverb, which is also a nice alternative.

• Members

Still a big secret: Rivera Clubster 45.

It has the same strong attack as a Vox, the same shimmery top end, but with an overall EL34 vibe and dito drive channel.

Technically, it has more watts than a Vox, but it breaks up pretty early.

Plus: it's small, light and sounds huge. The speaker is really pushing it and because it's angled, it spreads the sound better when it's on the floor.

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

Yeah

Those 4X10 Hot Rod Devilles. Alright clean tones but nothing great IMO.

I agree with Ivor, a 60s ampeg would be a great choice, something like a Reverborocket. Nice rich clean tones and lovely reverb.

Of course selling the Vox would net you enough to net a nice silverface Deluxe Reverb, which is also a nice alternative.

Why do guys hate those devilles? How many watts does it pump? My old bandmate had a reissue reverbrocket. I hated it! He sold it and was happier with a peavey classic 30. :D

• Members

The HR Deluxe and Deville have a good clean tone but horrible distortion channel, so anybody that bought the thing thinking it would be versatile probably despised it and crappy reviews start to spread. I had one for a while, and in the end I liked the clean tone of my Blues Jr. better and every gig we played we mic'd the amps so volume wasn't an issue.

I think the main problem with the Devilles is that for the same price you can get something better? They certainly aren't special.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzface71

Why do guys hate those devilles? How many watts does it pump? My old bandmate had a reissue reverbrocket. I hated it! He sold it and was happier with a peavey classic 30.
:D

I don't hate my deville. I hate the distortion channels, but plug a fulldrive into the clean and you're happening. I got very very tired of the Fender sound after a few years with it though which is why I bought the Tophat and to be honest haven't played the HRD since.

I've been craving Fenders lately though so I'm going to do some mods to the amp to make it sound much better. I'm doing that rather than selling it because I will not get anything what I paid for it originally, then just have to sink that money plus the money lost to begin with into another type of Fender.

So I think my Fender's going to stomp ass when I'm done with it, but at the same time, if I didn't already have it..I'd probably never buy it just to do those mods.

I bought some new speakers, and I'm about to order some new tubes and components to replace, get a rebias, etc.

Another cool thing about keeping it is that IMO it's one of the coolest looking amps Fender has.

Still..this amp is not for you because the clean channel stays clean. And I like the clean but you're looking for something with lower breakup. The HRD does not breakup, period.

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

My suggestions:

Fender Deluxe Reverb..just sounds like it'd be you.

Fender Bassman RI. I think these things sound good. (original if you can get one...I can't.
:D
)

Dr. Z Maz Jr.

Orange AD30

I would love to try a Dr. Z, but never seen one here in Montreal. The Orange amp, I was also looking at, but I think an Orange head would be cooler, but I hate to log a separate thing (cab/head). The Deluxe reverb is a great contender for sure. I'm just intrigued by the amps that those guys use (strokes, killers etc) They looked so compact and small, but at the same time, it seems enough power? :confused:

• Members

I owned at Hot Rod for a while and it always left me feeling empty inside!!! BAD BAD Tone....I like the Killer, and Franz Ferdinan, but not for their tone...it's pretty lame especially live.

If you love the Vox you will do yourself a HUGE injustice with the HR.

What is your budget?

I really like my Matchless, but if I were looking at new amps in the same vein I might go with a Hayseed....I've read good things. It looks like he is copy'n some of Mark Sampson (Matchless/Bad Cat/Star) and Vox tricks so I think he's on the right track.

When I was looking at amps I tried the DR.Z maz 18 and Maz 38 and felt the Matchless was better in every aspect, even though I didn't want to spend the extra dough. Now I've had 3 I liked em so much.

Just don't pull the trigger on the HR they are cool for about a week. Then the "new" wears off and you are like WTF this thing is {censored}TTTIE POO POO!

• Members

Originally posted by FLYING V 83

I'm liking my 93 Blues Deluxe tweed more and more with each gig. Very pedal-friendly, and loud as hell since I put that new V30 in it. I still can't get the master past 3 with the drive on 7, throw a Jacques Fuseblower 2 in front of that and I'm shaking the floors.

That's my only problem with it. My AC30 is 30 watts and the Blues Deluxe is 40. Though the AC30 has 2 speakers.

Archived