rack systems vs pedals?

hotaction

• Members

hey im really interested in beefing up my gear. i currently am playing through an ampeg lee jackson head and 4x12 celestions. id like to get a noise suppresor and probably a tuner. a few other gadgets would be great too. anyway. my real question is. which route do i take? benefits? disadvantages? and also with racks- where do i start? any help is much appreciated

thanks

• Members

so, i assume you play metal.. if you don't need alot of effects i'd suggest pedals...

for a noise surpressor i'd look into those isp decimators (rack or pedal version)... tuner: korg dt10, boss tu2 and if you have a bit of cash get the strobostomp...

• Members

Racks are valuable for some applications...I personally prefer a pedalboard, but racks have their advantages (not as much risk of damage through wear and tear, etc). For you though, I agree you should probably go pedals if you won't be using many effects. You have two options basically, run guitar>pedals>into input of amp or guitar>input of amp and run the pedals in an effects loop....personally, if tuning and noise suppression are you're main issues, I'd go with the first example...

• Members

Hey hotaction,

I own 2 guitar rack systems, a combo amp w/ a small rack system and an analog pedalboard. Here some pictures:

Guitarrack1.jpg

Pic066.jpg

Pic079.jpg

Pic082.jpg

2pedalboard.jpg

Newpedalboard.jpg

What do you plan on upgrading your guitar rig with? Do you want to use your current amp head and an effects rack or go complete rack system with a preamp, effects unit and a power amp? It depends on how you want to configure your guitar rig.

Guitar George

Archived