Effects placement (front/fx loop/both?)

Philbinator

• Members

Hi everyone, i'm new here so hope i do all this right...

i have a problem concerning placement of my fx...esp. my mxr 10 band eq. if i run everything though the front, i get no feedback but the mxr has very little volume boost. or if i put everything through the fx loop, i get great vol. boost, but the feedback is huge, unmanagable for a live performance. maybe i should be splitting pedals between front and back? my configuration is: guitar (custom ibanez rg570)->crybaby wah->mxr eq->boss mega dist.->boss turbo overdrive->boss pedal tuner->boss ns-2 noisegate->marshall jcm 900.

any suggestions, links or whatever would really be appreciated! thanks!

- phil

• Members

When you start looking at placemtent of efx look at at put time based efx in the loop.....efx like delays, and reverb sond best post Gain-in the efx loop-

Usually gain based efx soundbetter out front Overdrives and distortions, EQ based stuff like Wah pedals.

Some efx can go either way, like chorus-technically it's a time based effect but it has decent results pregain or post gain.

EQ's can be placed in either spot too with different results.......I think it will be more effective post gain in the loop but you can try both.

As long as you keep the time based stuff after your main source of gain/distortion(in your loop or after a distortion pedal) you should be fine and you can experiment.

• Members

thanks a lot for that advice megatron, found it really helpful. thing is, i'm still getting unwanted feedback when it's on 4 or 5 (the vol. i gig at). i put the wah and 2 distortions through the front, and put the tuner, eq and noise gate through the back. it's running 16 ohms (it can also run 8 and 4 with my cab?), i have the fx vol at the back on full, my dist. pedals at about halfway, my amps dist on 0, the amps pre on about 12 oclock, and the power output switch at the back on 'low'...all this and still feedsback. man it's driving me crazy! does anyone know if it's my settings, or maybe it's just the amp? it is a jcm900 (2100) after all??? anyone??? :(

Archived