I just sent an email to a bunch of ebay bidders that they were bidding on a fake

hookstrapped

• Members

A viola supposedly made by Dario Vettori.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7352004890&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

item 7352004890

I'm looking at perhaps getting a violin made by Dario (II), the grandson of Dario Vettori and so am familiar with their website.

http://www.pvettoriesons.it/index.html

And I emailed Paulo, the son of Dario, asking about this viola. This was his reply:

Dear Mr. Schafer,

we already had more contacts regarding the same viola.

The instrument is made by an amateur, not by my father.

My father was very professional violinmaker, he won several prizes and his work is strong classical and "warm" looking.

His instruments have normally the price between Euro 17.000 and 20.000.

Thank you for having written us,

Sincerelly

Paolo Vettori

Gotta police ebay.

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

Ebay is getting really bad; I have had 4 last chance offers from 4 different people in regards to 1 auction that I bidded on.

My shop has this problem on every auction we post. The best part is that most of the scammers aren't quite smart enough to do it correctly. Take these two examples:

1. The scammer sent a second chance offer to the high bidder...after it was marked as paid on eBay.

2. The scammer sent a second chance offer to the second highest bidder, but using our email address as the contact.

• Members

gee whiz, try to do a good deed.

This is an email I got from one of the bidders I warned, whose wrath got a bit misdirected (can't this person see my name is not the seller's name?)

You need to change the page foe the item NOW. If you know that what you have listed is misrepresented, then you have the obligation to let the bidders know before , NOT AFTER. I was bidding on something that I thought there was a good chance of being genuine. I did not intend to bid on something that was undoubtedly fake. I would like to retract my bid, if possible. What you have done constitutes as fraud, since you know that you have misrepresented the item on the listing and have not changed it. If I have to, I will contact eBay with documentation, including the email you sent just after I bid, letting me know of the TRUE status of the instrument.

I suppose a FAKE Vettori wouldn't be bad for $500, but that is NOT what I bid on.

• Members

Did you email the seller or just the bidders? It's a consignment seller, meaning he's selling for someone else but using his own ebay ID. The seller isn't likely to know anything about the violin other than what the consignee told him. The real scammer is the consignee, hidden from the pubic, and who has no risk of having his ebay account hit with negative feedback. :(

• Members

Originally posted by jeverist

Did you email the seller or just the bidders? It's a consignment seller, meaning he's selling for someone else but using his own ebay ID. The seller isn't likely to know anything about the violin other than what the consignee told him. The real scammer is the consignee, hidden from the pubic, and who has no risk of having his ebay account hit with negative feedback.
:(

Yeah, I emailed the seller at the same time I emailed the bidders -- with the same exact email: FYI...

I'm not assuming he's trying to scam.

• Members

Originally posted by troubbble

Would you mind posting the email where he apologizes to you for being such a dumb ass?

"In that case, I owe you an apology and a thanks! I see was outbid, so someone else is going to have a problem on their hands, unfortunately."

pretty lame, I was hoping for much more ass-kissing

Archived