Who makes you feel inadequate?

Fourth Floor

• Members

Been listening to Steve Vai (and despite me thinking he could always use some help writing songs) you gotta admire the dexterity.

Elvis Costello makes me wanna give up when i can't knock out 3 songs a day or something...

Bowie too. Bloody hell.

I'm sure there are more. Who makes you feel like either giving up or just inadequate?

• Members

I think, only I can make me feel inadequate. As a player that happens all too often. Sadly, as a person it is the same. If you think you're good enough or "there", just quit playing. I mean whats the use.

btw ... if you think you're there playing wise, guess what your NOT!!! :D

• Members

1. Girlfriend :D

Guitarists

Marc Ribot
Jim Campilongo
Robert Quine (RIP)

They just seem to have very well thought out musical styles that can be quite technical without ever losing the sense that something could go badly wrong at any minute. I envy the grace with which they walk a musical tightrope I suppose.

Pretty much any great jazz or classical guitarist, even though I know that I don't want to play in that style -- in fact, generally dislike the sound of trad jazz guitar. Something to do with the fact that I had classical guitar lessons as a kid, but didn't keep up, and no amount of study could allow me to catch up.

Thereminist Pamelia Kurstin also falls into thius category.

• Members

Too many to list. I get much more envious of a skilled lyricist than a skilled guitarist though which is odd as song lyrics are not a make or break thing for me unless they're really good or really bad. But for the most part everyone's {censored} just drifts in the middle. And that's perfectly acceptable to me. That's why I always say "songwriting" is overrated LOL!

• Members

Originally posted by form of rocket

{censored} that, these people should inspire you. no wonder there is so much mediocre music floating around.

To each their own. I'm personally glad that there's records out there that I listen to that are beyond what I can reasonbly conceive doing in the same quality. Any album or song that falls under that category of course inspires me anyways.

• Members

Who makes me feel inadequate? Me, of course. Oh wait, you probably meant music wise, well that's a different story...

Actually, now that I think of it, nobody really. When I listen to Frank Zappa, Jimi Hendrix, or Jimmy Page (or any of the other guitarists that I love that are a helluva lot better than I'll ever be), it doesn't really make me feel inadquate. It kinda makes me want to pick up the guitar and play.

• Members

Originally posted by capnbringdown

Who makes me feel inadequate? Me, of course. Oh wait, you probably meant music wise, well that's a different story...

Actually, now that I think of it, nobody really. When I listen to Frank Zappa, Jimi Hendrix, or Jimmy Page (or any of the other guitarists that I love that are a helluva lot better than I'll ever be), it doesn't really make me feel inadquate. It kinda makes me want to pick up the guitar and play.

It was an open question...doesn't have to be musically inadequate. Could be your dad.

I'm mostly happy with my own skills, but soemtimes you just feel like there holes where you could have some more skill.

• Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

It was an open question...doesn't have to be musically inadequate. Could be your dad.

I'm mostly happy with my own skills, but soemtimes you just feel like there holes where you could have some more skill.

That was mostly a joke. I'm too down on myself, so I've been trying to be more positive, but it hasn't been working out too well, so I continue to be negative. When the {censored} flows, you go with what you know.

I need more skill. I just realize how horrible I actually am and that I have no chance in hell of ever becoming the next Page or Clapton or whomever, so when I hear them solo, a sick part of me goes: yeah, I can do that; while another part of me knows that what'll come out will be nothing like any of those guys played (and I don't mean that in a good, creative way more like the frog on the hotplate).

• Members

I think people tend to feel indequate when they're stuck in their ego, and playing or living is all about pretence and avoidance.

If you're being inspired by talented or simply excellent people, you're probably in a much better place than most. It's funny to me how much more wankery there is in the guitar world, where a lot of players are constantly battling insecurities and intimidation.

There'll always be someone who can play better...

...what's wrong with just enjoying yourself in the moment?

• Members
Originally posted by woude

tommy emmanuel. After seeing him live; I really don't want to touch an acoustic guitar for a day or two and all electric guitars are like toys.
:(
After a day or three I start to think about playing again...

Yeah, I've heard many a player repeat this mournful lament.

Archived