Analogman, silver or not (TS content)

Soulgolem

• Members

Hi I'm thinking of getting a TS-9 Tube screamer moded by Analogman. But I can't seem to decide whether I want the silver option or not. Not sure if it's really what I want... Comparisions would be nice.

I use mainly Teles, thinline Teles and a Vox AC30.

Thanks.

Francis.

• Members

I not only have both mods, I've DONE both mods. :eek:

Let's go back a few years when I was the guy who answered the phone at Analog Man. A customer would call with this exact same question. Then I would say something like this:

The Brown mod is as close to the original TS-808 as you'll find without spending a few hundred bucks to actually get an original. It's the classic TS-808 sound. The Silver mod is a more high fidelity sound; it's more transparent and clear sounding, without the midrange hump the Tube Screamer is known for (a lot of people really like that hump though). The Silver sounds less like you're playing through a pedal and more like you're just playing through a cranked amp.

FWIW, I think the Silver is a lot more mod for the money.

• Members

Not sure with what I will go just yet. What should be better with my Vox amp ? it's said that the Vox being already strong in mid frequencies, the silver mod should work better, but I hear the 80's U2 sound was a Vox and a TS-9... And to what I've heard, it sounds very good, so i'm still not sure. Any further opinions are well appreciated.

Francis.

• 1 month later...

Archived