stones rock and roll circus: capsule review

moonhead

• Members

1968 performances yeah? here we go:

jethro tull: young and fresha and wild. great song. nice start. tony iommi credited as band-member on the credits, but i didn;t rewind. certianly they were all ugly enough he could have slipped in there.

taj mahal: good solid rock perfromance from this guy, who had the vinegar in him back then

the who: awesome. what can one say? stole the show. tip: never have the '68 who warm up soemething. have them tear the house down at the end.

marianne faithful: very nice pop-art tune. man she was some looker in 68...

john lennon: here's the lineup: mitch mitchell-drums; lennon- rhythm guitar; clapton-lead(es335); bass-keith richards. they do yer blues. amazing.

yoko: shrieks like a lunatic while the lads jam beautiful rock music behind her. o-my-god. I've never felt o embarrased before. must see. truly horrid.

stones: fuhgettaboutit. brilliant... brian jones on slide especially wonderful. even mick (whom john lennon refers to as michael throughout ther little mini-interview) is forgiven his ridiculous hamming...

go ye, and rent!

• Members

One of my favorite music videos EVER.

You're right about the Who stealing the show. That's hands down my favorite live performance by anyone. Moon at the end, after he tosses the tom, is out of his mind.

And Yoko ruined what was a great job by the Dirty Mac, you're right.

The Stones ARE great, but you can tell that Jones doesn't have much longer, and you're right about The Who upstaging them.

• Members

an interesting video indeed. bought it nearly only because of tull with iommi. was a bit disappointed that it was only one song. the performance of the stones did made me sad actually. i thought brain jones was there just standing as one piece of missery. tears in his eyes nearly hitting a note. a reflection of what he ones was consumed by drugs and weltsmertz.

marrian faithfull was imo only a poppy very beautiful singer in that video. the more she got destroid by the drugs the better her singing and songs became.

but it gives agreat picture of a time that ones was. i can recommend it.

• Members
Originally posted by Bbreaker

One of the earliest examples of the wretched and talentless Yoko Ono .

nearly dont dare to say it:

:o
most of the time i like what yoko ono did in that period. gave some life to music that i would have found boring without... im sorry just my opinion.

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

The Who are beyond good on that.

{censored}, I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.

Yeah, that really is just a perfect, perfect performance. I love how they start it a cappella. And Pete's guitar sounds at the end just kill me. And the sweat flying off of Moon when he goes nuts feels like it should be hitting you.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

Yeah, that really is just a perfect, perfect performance. I love how they start it a cappella. And Pete's guitar sounds at the end just kill me. And the sweat flying off of Moon when he goes nuts feels like it should be hitting you.

I love how they start acapella and Keith is miming because he can't sing. You can hear keith scream at one point I'm sure of it.

• Members

Originally posted by moonhead

the who: awesome. what can one say? stole the show. tip: never have the '68 who warm up soemething. have them tear the house down at the end.

rumor has it that the stones prevented wide distribution for decades because they knew that the who did indeed steal the show.

true?

well, it's a rumor so it's gotta be!

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

Besides The Who, my favorite part of the whole thing is during "Yer Blues" when the shot shows the floor and you see Clapton's and Lennon's ratty-ass shoes tapping in time together. I don't know why, but I always thought that was a neat shot.

absolutely, made me laugh out loud. and then look at my own feet, doing the same thing...

• Members

on the yoko thing: the absolutely most cringeworthy moment is when john does a sort of yah! motion at the very end, in all his lover-ish appreciation of his sorry new girl-friend.

i sat there just trying to imagine the pressure on everyone around him at that time, the longing to tell him: "look..dude, we love you and all, we ALL love you, LOVE you...but...

• Members

Watching this again. Another couple parts I love about the Who's performance. When Pete kicks into the faster part after the "Soon be home" part. When he's windmilling those chords and keeping time by stomping. That's just so rock n roll. And then when he starts singing and it cuts to Moon who's mouthing the line "Do my eyes deceive me?" with this mad look on his face.

Archived