Recommend a musical instrument for a very smart girl who will be 4 in January.

papa taco

• Members

My daughter has a Monarch Punk Stick from www.krappyguitars.com. Very cool really, kick ass pickup, and Kevin is very easy to work with.
own7.jpg

We also have a 4/4 violin around the house for the kids to abuse. I got it off Ebay for a $2.25 bid, plus $35 for shipping. It's not a great violin I would guess but it holds tune, makes noise and cost so little, even came with a case and rosin block.

• Members

There is nothing worse than the sound of a kid on something like a violin. And if she has anything approaching a good musical ear, she will know that herself and now want to play it anymore. At least, that's what happened to me!

The problem is they constantly sound out of tune cos it's so hard to always hit the fingerboard in the righ place. Get her a keyboard or something with frets - she'll enjoy it more and so will you!

• Members

I'll say this. I had a keyboard when I was younger and got bored with it before too long. I got a guitar when I turned 15 and haven't put it down since.

Maybe a Mandolin? That wouldn't be as awful to listen to as a violin, but would help her develop skills to play the violin if she wanted to later in life, if she is serious about music.

If she just wants something to play with go with the keyboard.

• Members

Maybe I'll make her a little lightweight electric with just 2 strings and a really thin little neck. Drop a cheap p/u in it and get her a little amp.

My boy will be 2 in December. He likes to bang the living {censored} out of my Martin. I've got to put that thing away in the case, he's going to break it. He loves guitars, you should see the little guy screech when he open's my Guitar magazines. He seems to really like heavily figured gawdy basses for some reason. :eek: Anyway, I want to get something for him too but he is such a little bruizer that he will break anything in no time. Maybe a Fisher Price drum kit for now and when he becomes a bit more "subtle" with his movements something else. ;)

:D

• Members

Originally posted by Jeztastic

There is nothing worse than the sound of a kid on something like a violin. And if she has anything approaching a good musical ear, she will know that herself and now want to play it anymore. At least, that's what happened to me!

The problem is they constantly sound out of tune cos it's so hard to always hit the fingerboard in the righ place. Get her a keyboard or something with frets - she'll enjoy it more and so will you!

amen to that, brit brutha!

unfortunately you have to start at 4 yrs old to be any good by 30. so what to do?

ban the violin, i guess!

• Members
Originally posted by Jeztastic

Archived