My ebay vox wah doesn't sound right

mateo150

• Members

I just bought a Vox 846 off of EBAY. It sounds weird, it makes noises when I move the wah pedal, even while I'm not playing anything at all. It sounds like 2 pieces of sandpaper being rubbed together... it sucks. The wah is useless cuz the notes are accompanied by this gnashing sound.... This isn't normal, correct?

• Members

Sounds like a dirty pot or a pot on it's last legs. Buy some Caig Deoxit. One squirt into the opening of the pot, then move the pot back and forth a few times. Only one squirt. Too much cleaner can damage the pot as well. If that doesn't end the scratchy noises, the pot needs to be replaced. Simple job for any good tech or if you're handy with a soldering iron it's a fairly simple job.

• Members

Sounds like a scratchy pot.

You said a V846? That's the vintage one, right?

I'd let the seller know right away. That's something that should definitely be mentioned in the description.

A pot can be replaced very easily, but make sure you keep the original (or try to track down another vintage Vox pot at some point).

The pot itself doesn't affect the tone of the pedal...but the taper of the pot will affect the sweep (how much/how quickly/where the sound changes as you're moving from heel to toe).

You can get a Fulltone pot for $25. A lot of people like the sweep on those. If you can solder even a little you can replace the pot on your wah yourself. Or any electronics/repair shop should be able to do it in about 10 minutes (including heating up the soldering iron).

Easy job, easy fix...but a scratchy pot/non-original pot bring down the value of a vintage pedal, and the seller should probably do something about that.

• Members
Originally posted by AbbeSauniere

Sounds like a dirty pot or a pot on it's last legs. Buy some Caig Deoxit. One squirt into the opening of the pot, then move the pot back and forth a few times. Only one squirt. Too much cleaner can damage the pot as well. If that doesn't end the scratchy noises, the pot needs to be replaced. Simple job for any good tech or if you're handy with a soldering iron it's a fairly simple job.

If a pot is scratchy, it will need to be replaced relatively soon anyway...DeOxit (from your local Radio Shack) will help for the short term, but it's usually better just to get a new pot as a longer term solution.

• Members

Hey mateo150,

Check out this link:

http://hem.bredband.net/b120062/projects/wahmods/

Install a true bypass switch on your wah pedal. I recommend the Carling 316PP DPDT on/off switch. It will stop the tone sucking that you hear. If the pot is scratchy, replace it witht the Fulltone Icar tone pot. I did this to all 3 of my wah pedals and they sound a lot better now. Go to:
www.fulltoneeffects.com

Guitar George

• Members
Originally posted by Hamer95USA

Hey mateo150,

Check out this link:

http://hem.bredband.net/b120062/projects/wahmods/

Install a true bypass switch on your wah pedal. I recommend the Carling 316PP DPDT on/off switch. It will stop the tone sucking that you hear. If the pot is scratchy, replace it witht the Fulltone Icar tone pot. I did this to all 3 of my wah pedals and they sound a lot better now. Go to:

www.fulltoneeffects.com

Guitar George

He didn't mention tone-sucking problems...It really sounds like it's mostly the pot.

I'd be wary about heavily modding a vintage pedal. Definitely have it done by a pro and/or keep all the original parts.

Archived