Stoner rock tone at low volumes...

jcn37203

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

Big Muff (any type, really) with an overdrive set to very low gain in front of it will get you into that neighborhood.

That, or just crank up an Ampeg V4 like the pros and wait for the hot chick with the nose ring to come over from next door in a bathrobe, angry. Then take a photo to share.

He is correct. I use a Black russian muff at home for practice on a 15 watt Kustomn bass amp. Sounds fine.

• Members

I haven't heard a single stoner rock tone that I would say is definitive. Tones tend to be more bassy than bright. They also tend to be fuzzier than a typical heavy metal high gain tone. Other than that, what rules are there?

What I'm trying to say is this: drop a fuzzy, bassy riff into the context of a Sabbath-esque song, and no one is going to complain about authenticity. It's all in the delivery. You could do it with a fuzz pedal straight into the mixing board, and it doesn't get much quieter than that.

• Members

jcn,

Just wondering - is this for recording purposes, or just so you won't piss off the neighbors while you stoner-rock?

Either way, maybe you should look at one of the amp modelers so you can throw whatever at it, and keep it silent. Yeah, most of them are mediocre, but with some tweaking and good recording techniques, you can pull it off.

Otherwise, crank that bitch.

• Members
Originally posted by paulandpaul

catalinbread SCOD does a fine job of this. sounds great cranked or at bedroom levels IMO.

it is
the
stoner rock pedal.

I love heavy assed music. I am rarely ever stoned...

Today, I took a break from some serious soldering to play my guitar. First time in over two weeks to just unleash. 1st pedal I plugged in was an SCOD. First guitar I grabbed was a down tuned SG. I was ripping so well I thought, "JUST MAYBE I can finally get 'Painkiller'!!" I grabbed a standard tuned guitar and blasted on the Priest. Well, lets just say I think I got closer than ever before, but still my name isn't Glenn Tipton and I don't have a gay singer with a 45 octave range and a pair of lungs the size of a blue whale's. All I do remember is it was a load a freaking fun! :D

• Members

Originally posted by UncleDig

jcn,

Just wondering - is this for recording purposes, or just so you won't piss off the neighbors while you stoner-rock?

Either way, maybe you should look at one of the amp modelers so you can throw whatever at it, and keep it silent. Yeah, most of them are mediocre, but with some tweaking and good recording techniques, you can pull it off.

Otherwise, crank that bitch.

I like to play Clutch riffs, but I don't have (or want, really) 2 4x12 Marshall cabs and Orange heads. Plus I don't want to hurt my ears.

BTW, I *hate* theterm "stoner rock", but I didn't make it up, so what else can I call it?

Clutch

Fu Manchu

Kyuss

etc

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

Big Muff (any type, really) with an overdrive set to very low gain in front of it will get you into that neighborhood.

That, or just crank up an Ampeg V4 like the pros and wait for the hot chick with the nose ring to come over from next door in a bathrobe, angry. Then take a photo to share.

This a true story or picture?

• Members

Originally posted by MattCrane

This a true story or picture?

I met jcn once to trade pedals, but accidentally knocked on his next door neighbor's house instead and met one of the girls that he's complained about (they have loud parties, park on his lawn, etc.). It was kind of embarrassing; I just pointed at my Ohio license plates and slunk away to read the address number again.

Archived