Saw Beck and the Stones last night

Filterbank

• Members

My wife got some VIP tickets through work so we went down for a nice dinner before the show and won a backstage tour, which was nice for a gear geek like me. Pretty crazy, over 160 people work on the tour, plus the crew that sets up the advance stage. Beck opened up, we were sitting 4th row floor for his show. That was really good. Then the Stones came out and mediocred the place up. We only stayed for an hour or so before we got bored and my wife's 8-month pregnant needed to split.

Two things that should have been no surprise but were, all the old people. My God, I now know why they get tour sponsors like Mercedes Benz. They aren't attracting too many people between the ages of 20-30. Second, the amount of merch was crazy. They must have had 100 different items spread out over 40-50 merch booths. $60 Tattoo You fleece blanket anyone?

• Members

He opened with Loser, I guess since that might be the only song the average, old Stones fan might recognize. He played a mix of Odelay and Guero with a couple acoustic Sea Change songs in there. He played a bit of a Stones tune, I don't know the name of it. He said that they have enough songs so he can play one of theirs. His band was a drummer, a keyboardist/percussionist, guitarist and bassist, plus he had that dude who had a small drumkit that he played really poorly, but mostly he just walked and danced around the stage. They did the dinner table bit during the acoustic numbers where the band eats some food and provides percussion for Beck with cutlery and plates and glasses. They closed with E-Pro.
Beck seemed a little stunned by playing such a large venue. He said something like, "Everytime I say something, I hear it echo like 40 times" He doesn't play with in-ear monitors so the bounceback was really throwing him off. I was sitting about 20 feet from him and I was experiencing the same thing.
He only played about 40 minutes. He's probably my favourite Scientologist.

• Members

Beck's a Scientologist?!?

{censored}...they're everywhere...for a religion that sounds like the plot to a bad episode of Stargate SG-1 they sure do a good job of brainwashing people.

I saw Beck this summer at a free show in Rome. That was {censored}ing cool considering I didn't even know he was going to play. He opened for Duran Duran. The Italians were pretty cold to Beck but {censored}ing LOVED Duran Duran.

Says something about Italians if you ask me.

• Members

Originally posted by Barnabyhuggins

I saw Beck this summer at a free show in Rome. That was {censored}ing cool considering I didn't even know he was going to play. He opened for Duran Duran. The Italians were pretty cold to Beck but {censored}ing LOVED Duran Duran.

Says something about Italians if you ask me.

Careful now. You never know which one of us meatheads around here may have old world ties to-{censored}in' Brooklyn!

Archived