prefered recording software ...

lunarian1

• Members

longtime cakewalk guy. yet another moment of failure for me, as it appears on kestral's no-dice list.

all my hip friends are saying tracktion...check it out..

best thing about cake is the user community. a LOT of good folks, although playng some very bad music...

• Members

I too use Tracktion for a few reasons. I have an older Mac so I can't use anything that requires a lot of processor power. I haven't had an issue with Tracktion yet in that regard. Being able to freeze tracks helps. As well, I like the interface, very easy to use without having toolbars and palettes all over the place. The other thing is that there's no problem working on tracks on my Mac and sharing the files over the internet with my drummer who is a PC user. As well, Tracktion was FREE!

• Members

Originally posted by TrashFace

and good tutorials on ableton?

right now Im using reason.

listen to my tracks in my sig.

oh yeah , the same software got some serious tutorials , must be the easiest DAW on the market right now , go to the Craig Anderton Forum right here and you will read an awesome review , and btw , Live 5 wil make wonders for your music , love it..

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

that's not saying much

actually it is. DAW software is really backward in it's approach overall. There are so many things that could be more intuitive, but they aren't changed because of what high-end users are used to. Marketing to that niche is great, but including at least a secondary skin for new users would, if it was done well, guarantee a good share of the next generation of high-end users. I've used a lot of the higher end software and I'm more than capable of using it, but if something can have the same functionality that the cryptic DAWs have and yet allow a new user to jump on easily, then it's a no brainer.

Garageband, for example, lacks a ton of functionality, but everything it does have is easily found without any knowledge of recording or previous daw use. Whereas jumping from Cubase to Logic to various others, some of the most simple controls are put in very arbitrary locations.

Tracktion does all the simple things simply. That counts for quite a lot.

• Members

There are a lot of great products out there. Sometimes it's more a matter of what you enjoy using. In my case, I prefer to work with Pro Tools.

Some friends only use Digital Performer. I've used it and it's not for me. I've also used GarageBand, Tracktion, and a few others and always go back to ProTools.

One nice thing about GarageBand is that you can import a MIDI file (e.g., Santana, AC/DC, etc.) and get it working with some cool sounds. Great to create backing/practice tracks :)

I used a couple of free versions of TC Electronics and Bias software. I used them so little that I can't even remember their names :o

Archived