Danelectro pedals- yay or nay?

stent

• Members

Ive been looking at those danelectro mini pedals and its seems that you can get some neat effects at very reasonable prices.

Im not questioning whether they are road worthy or if they sound any good at gigs, but for bedroom noodling they might be a cheap way to enjoy fun new sounds.

Anyone using danelectros?

I hear the fish and chips is great.

I would be interested in flanger, chorus, vibe or rotary sounds but

do they make any fuzz/octave pedals? all the ones ive seen have been octave down.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It depends how experienced a player you are, and what kind of ear you have.

The Fish'n'Chips is a very good, very cheap EQ. And I've heard the octave fuzz thing is good too.

If you're new to effects, you'll probably like the other stuff they do, until you hear better. If you're tempted to buy 2 or 3 Dano pedals it might be worth using that money to buy one more upmarket pedal.

• Members

my slap echo mini is great but somewhat of a tone suck and might be a tad noisy at really high volumes. haven't tested it in a loud setting yet. def. tone suck though. some of the others i've ehard are much better, like the EQ, which everyone here loves pretty much.

• Members

I only have experience with the tuna melt trem, and it's totally awesome. Some people say the minis aren't road-worthy, other people say that those people are full o' {censored}, I honestly don't know. But I gotta admit, the plastic switch does worry me a bit ... I think a plastic case with a standard metal switch would put my mind at ease...

But like I said, it sounds great!

• Members

i own the the daddy-o.. great vintage overdrive sound. love it.

have also the psycho flange wchich is terrible.. it's got a terrible high "glockenklang".. but with lots of distortion it's weird enough that i keep it.... :D (anyway i won't get really much for this)

i've also played the grilled cheese: cheesy metal distortion and thats fun but not depends on your taste..

dano free speach... nice talkbox... that's okay...

dano fab tone: super distortion. real nice!!

dano cool cat: heard only good stuff about it.

dano back talk: so good that i'll buy in the next 6 months! best reverse pedal on the market, i think.

• Members

There are 4 of the mini pedals that are very good as a general consensus.

1. Fish & Chips EQ. Excellent. It's funny to see these on boards surrounded by big $ botique pedals.

2. Tuna Melt Tremolo. Better sound than mnay of the higher cost alternatives.

3. French Toast Octave Fuzz. Very good pedal, designed by the same guy who designed the Foxx Tone Machine.

4. Rocky Road Spinning Speaker. Caveat: THIS PEDAL MUST BE MODDED! It is distorted as is, but doing the simple mod turns it into a VERY good Leslie simulator.

Out of the bigger pedals, the Danecho & Cool Cat Chorus are good.

• Members

I have 4 mini pedals:

Pepperoni Phaser: Very weak sounding pedal.

Pastrami Overdrive: I've never gotten a good enough sound out of it to put it on my board. We used it for bass a few times 'cause it sounded really nasty.

MilkShake Chorus: Like the phaser, it's not a very strong sounding effect.

Surf and Turf Compressor: I never even plugged it in. I don't really use compression.

I have 2 big dano pedals:

Fab Tone: this is a very thick sounding distortion and you can get tons of huge low end out of it, but there was something un-natural sounding to me with the high end.

Dan-Echo: This pedal sounds amazing. Really really natural and full sounding delay. But.... it's kinda noisy if you run it in front of the amp even if it's off.

• Members

I don't know the link concerning the mod to the Rocky Road but I do remember it involved soldering a jumper across the R44 resistor on the pedal's circuit board. Hope this helps, I buddy of mine did it and it improved performance immensely.

• Members
Originally posted by Andersonology

Ughh....Danos are the biggest pieces of crap ever made...period.

Why do you think they practically give them away.

Give me a break....
:rolleyes:

you gimme a break pal. the Fish & Chips is an awesome EQ for 30 bucks. if you want to pay {censored}loads of money for an EQ pedal than by all means, but that just makes you an idiot who doesn't know how to spend his money.

Archived