Arthur - Or The Decline And Fall Of The British Empire

Filterbank

• Members

The Kinks were a band that I only really knew from their obvious hits. Then I read an article on them in Uncut magazine and I heard all these musicians I admire talking about how great they are. So I started listening to them about a year ago. They've been blowing me away with the quality of the songs they wrote. Mindless Child of Motherhood is a fantastic song.

• Members

Originally posted by Filterbank

The Kinks were a band that I only really knew from their obvious hits. Then I read an article on them in Uncut magazine and I heard all these musicians I admire talking about how great they are. So I started listening to them about a year ago. They've been blowing me away with the quality of the songs they wrote. Mindless Child of Motherhood is a fantastic song.

it's not a great book by any stretch, but the 33 1/3 paperback about TKATVGPS was pretty interesting. Ray was pretty {censored}ed up.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0826414982/qid%3D1127925546/103-8747252-6268655

• Members

love those 331/3 books. currently making my way through a similar tome on Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy, writtne by my guy John Perry (Only Ones guitarist) who writes as aritculately as he plays.

KINKS love is a 24/7 thing round here.

if anybody wants to know a great link for almost all their tunes tabs/chords jus lemme know.

would post now but packing for: NEBRASKA! (Steak tonight lads.)

• Members

My favorite line would be:

"All the houses in the street have got a name

all the houses in the street they look the same."

And "Yes Sir No Sir" is {censored}in' timeless. It could be an anthem for our kids in Iraq. One (of the many) great things about Ray's songs is how he could be so profound in such a breezy, casual manner. He gives you these little fictionalized vignettes that focus on the trivial and end up making profound statements without even trying. That's great art.

And yeah he was a crazy drunk. Him and Dave have brawled on stage before. I remember he announced "song of the year" on the grammies several years ago. He looked bored. He announced all the songs up for the award. He opened the envelope to read the winner. He looked shocked and spurted out "DON HENLEY????!!!!" Then he looked at the camera and said with total disdain and a shrug of the shoulders: "Don Henley. (I think it was "Boys Of Summer.) Beautiful tv moment. Best. grammy. moment. ever.

• Members

BTW songwriting wise Dave was the George Harrison of the Kinks. Honestly it's Ray that does deserve all the credit songwriting wise. Their albums run the gamut from genius to godawful and he's really responsible for both extremes....I do love Dave's tunes though. Death Of A Clown is my fave. I don't think he wrote anything on Arthur.

Archived