Most unknown, under-appreciated delay ever: Boss RDD-10

jcn37203

• Members
pc31.jpg

I've had this in the closet for several months now, and got around to taking it out last night.

It's purely digital, but if you crank the tone and level knob, it distorts just a little tiny bit, and each reapeat is a little bit more distorted, sounds like a virtual analog delay.

But regardless of that, it's a pretty sweet little delay. 1.5 seconds of delay max, w/ modulation.

• Members
Originally posted by jcn37203
pc31.jpg
Freaky. I thought I was the only one here with one of these!

True story: I bought it for $5 at a yard sale. Some guy's roommate had left stuff behind, mostly synth-related stuff. He didn't know what any of it was, so I picked up this delay. The manual has Depeche Mode settings penciled in on the back cover.

It really can sound analoglike. The modulation controls can create some very weird sounds.

• Members
Originally posted by palthegiraffe

Freaky. I thought I was the only one here with one of these!

True story: I bought it for $5 at a yard sale. Some guy's roommate had left stuff behind, mostly synth-related stuff. He didn't know what any of it was, so I picked up this delay. The manual has Depeche Mode settings penciled in on the back cover.

It really can sound analoglike. The modulation controls can create some very weird sounds.
Does the manual explain how to bypass the effect?

• Members

yeah i own the rps-10 and the rrv-10.

there both super. the same store also has the half rack phaser, and if the phaser sounds like the ph-1r, i'm buying that as well.

i think this whole half series has some gems.

the delays sound analogish like jcn mentions. the delay on the rps-10 sounds like the delay on the ps-2.

• Members

Does the manual explain how to bypass the effect?
I agree that the RDD-10 is awesome. I used to have one, but sadly, sold it off (along with an RPS-10) in a rack-gear selloff.

One way to "bypass" the effect is the "effect on/off" button on the side. I bet you knew that, but just checking. I seem to remember that there's also a 1/4" jack on the back that does the same thing as the button, allowing a footpedal to bypass it... (?)

I don't think it's true bypass, so you're never really getting out of the circuit unless you use some sort of routing option.

A cool note on the RPS-10: it has a CV jack in the back that allows you to use a CV input to control the pitch. A friend had an old keyboard, and you could actually play the pitch with the keyboard as you played an instrument through the unit. Very cool.

• Members
Originally posted by UncleDig

I agree that the RDD-10 is awesome. I used to have one, but sadly, sold it off (along with an RPS-10) in a rack-gear selloff.

One way to "bypass" the effect is the "effect on/off" button on the side. I bet you knew that, but just checking. I seem to remember that there's also a 1/4" jack on the back that does the same thing as the button, allowing a footpedal to bypass it... (?)

I don't think it's true bypass, so you're never really getting out of the circuit unless you use some sort of routing option.

A cool note on the RPS-10: it has a CV jack in the back that allows you to use a CV input to control the pitch. A friend had an old keyboard, and you could actually play the pitch with the keyboard as you played an instrument through the unit. Very cool.

Hmm, I was under the impression last night that hitting the "effect on/off" button was also killing the signal. I'll try that out here in a minute to make double sure.

• Members

Hmm, I was under the impression last night that hitting the "effect on/off" button was also killing the signal. I'll try that out here in a minute to make double sure.
No, it should only turn the effect on or off. There is the on/off button on the other side of the front panel, though, and that turns the whole thing off or on. With that button off, no signal passes, as it's not true bypass. It's like removing the battery or AC adapter from a Boss pedal; it then passes no signal.

I hope that answers your question. The manual doesn't have anything additional to offer, other than pointing out the different outputs on the back.

• Members

I'm really stretching my memory here (it hurts, I'm old) - but check the wet/dry mix (or maybe the level knob?) while you're at it to ensure you're at a 50/50 mix. Again, I suspect you are or it would sound goofy, but it's worth mentioning.

Yeah, what pal said re: the two different buttons.

Cool box - make it warble!

• Members

rdd-10 and rrv-10, two outstanding effects. i actually own two rdd-10, they go for suprisingly cheap and sound great. i find them a little flaky at times though, and the delay time is a bit limited but it's worth it.

the rrv-10 also is limited by not being able to change the delay time, but it is hissy and gritty sounding, i love it.

• 7 years later...

Archived