Ok, so how about what is a good value and portable cassette recorder?

hangwire

• Members

so I think I will have to stick with cassette recorders as digital is out of my means... so what I need is:

PORTABLE

good value

good sound quality - I will be dumping mixes to my computer via the 1/8" line in

other options, not sure if they exsist:

internal reverb/delay?

XLR on portable unit?

what can you recommend... I know a local shop has a tascam portastudio 2mkii or something for $40...

oh, I also decided on cassette because then I can pass the tape to my friend with his 4 track and we can swap bits and record across town from each other.... am I correct in thinking that a 4 track is a 4 track... even if the brands are different they will still work the same in any 4 track machine... right?

• Members

Originally posted by hangwire

so I think I will have to stick with cassette recorders as digital is out of my means...

oh, I also decided on cassette because then I can pass the tape to my friend with his 4 track and we can swap bits and record across town from each other.... am I correct in thinking that a 4 track is a 4 track... even if the brands are different they will still work the same in any 4 track machine... right?

aside from any head-alignment discrepancies you may encounter between the two machines, the tapes are swappable. you may want to record to tr.1 and have him work on tr.4 (and then do 2 & 3), rather than 1 & 2 first, where an alignment difference could cause bleed/erasure/etc.

Archived