OT: wish there was a musical search engine

MrSage

• Members

It would be sweet if you could input a string of notes from the song's melody and it would give you a set of songs that have that progression of notes in it.

That would be kinda cool.

I'm always hearing part of a song that I wish I could hear the rest of, but it gets cut off or something before I hear any lyrics. And there's this song my granddad always used to whistle...what song was that?! I'll probably never know...

So a musical search engine would be sweet.

• Members
Originally posted by MrSage

It would be sweet if you could input a string of notes from the song's melody and it would give you a set of songs that have that progression of notes in it.

That would be kinda cool.

I'm always hearing part of a song that I wish I could hear the rest of, but it gets cut off or something before I hear any lyrics. And there's this song my granddad always used to whistle...what song was that?! I'll probably never know...

So a musical search engine would be sweet.

Yes, I agree!! Same thing happens to me all the time. I want to be able to say "computer! what's that song that goes 'da da daa da da'?"

And come on, key sig doesn't matter. if you put in enough notes then at some point there will only be 1 matching song. Or it can give you a list, you can click on each one to listen, and be like "that's it!"

Ok, Sagey, tell me when you got that ready in pedal format ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Jaymeister

What about different key signatures, and note length, or time signature? Same progression of notes in any of these different formats could sound like a complete other song.

You can play any song in any key...the important part is the distance between the notes (thirds or fifths or whatever).

This would take that into account.

You could have a little piano-type entry system that would let you poke around for notes until you found the right intervals, and you could specify relative lengths of notes to some extent.

You obviously wouldn't end up with a single result every time. How often does Google return one result when you do a search? You could end up with 5-10 matches for a given progression, along with midi samples of what those songs sound like.

Just try each of them until you hit the right one.

Archived