Going to the new Starbucks on the corner

hookstrapped

• Members

in osbourne village (a small area of town just across the river from downtown where my sister lives) there is a safeway (grocery store) with a starbucks in it. maybe 500 metres away there is another starbucks. not even across the street or anything. same parking lot.

• Members

on the one hand, I'm always alittle bummed to see the starbucks near my apt so packed when the independent place down the street is much better (both in quality and ambience)...then again, alot of the people who go in for their triple foam frappemochachino's are the types I'd just assume not be in close quarters with...

• Members

Originally posted by Montag

in osbourne village (a small area of town just across the river from downtown where my sister lives) there is a safeway (grocery store) with a starbucks in it. maybe 500 metres away there is another starbucks. not even across the street or anything. same parking lot.

also, across the street there is another, similar coffee house chain called Second Cup.

and about three or four more cafes on within a couple hundred mteres.

• Members

Bleh that is Seattle. Only people that go to Starbucks here are the upward mobility types who don't think about anything other than, "Is this fattening?" Luckily there are probably 50 other moderately sized places that are still local to get my 4 shots of iced espresso.

Starbucks model is expand until failure I am pretty sure. Like McDonalds. You rarely see a McDonalds go out of business.

• Members

also, across the street there is another, similar coffee house chain called Second Cup.

and about three or four more cafes on within a couple hundred mteres.

J'detest Second Cup.

I heart Tim Hortons though.

*gets homesick for another country*

• Members

I love Starbuck's and here's why. We only had {censored} coffehouses here in town. Then Starbuck's showed up. Mainly as part of the bookstores and Target grocery stores, although we did just get a free standing one. haven't been there yet.

Since then and the success of those stores, a couple of people have capitalized on it and opened up some independently owned coffee shops that are actually fantastic (and free trade) unlike the {censored} they served at the other coffee houses.

I think I have an ulcer so I'm off coffee and on medication for a couple of weeks, but I did stop by this morning and get a bagel from one of them. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

J'detest Second Cup.

I heart Tim Hortons though.

*gets homesick for another country*

i dont mind second cup. if im in osbourne village ill go there to get a red eye before starbucks.

i usually go to a smaller chain called timothy's that's much closer to my house.

• Members

i dont mind second cup. if im in osbourne village ill go there to get a red eye before starbucks.

i usually go to a smaller chain called timothy's that's much closer to my house.

Yeah I remember Timothy's. is there another one called International or something?

Timbits and a double double please.

*gets even more homesick*

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

Yeah I remember Timothy's. is there another one called International or something?

Timbits and a double double please.

*gets even more homesick*

there's finally a tim horton's opening within walkign distance of my house. i'm very excited.

i dont know about international...

• Members

I have mixed feelings about this Starbucks. On the one hand, I really don't like Starbucks as a cozy place to hang out -- I find it faux gemutlichkeit. I much prefer a local small chain called the Daily Grind (I'm sure every town has its own coffee house with that name).

But, on the other hand, it signifies a bit of revitalization of the westside downtown where I live. I wouldn't call it gentrification in the typical sense because this is an old commercial / industrial area that had turned into abandoned blight after the '68 riots and only recently is it getting some new life and money pumped into it. I guess it comes with the territory.

• Members

Call me un-Canadian, but I {censored}ing hate Tim Hortons. Their coffee is {censored} juice.

Vancouver has got to be the Starbucks capital of the world (next to Seattle). They are literally on every block. Kitty-corner. Everywhere. And they're always packed. Unbelievable.

Me? I drink organic stuff my wife picks up a the farmers market. Fresh ground every morning, it's a great thing to wake up to.

This morning, after topping my wife doggystyle, we had a couple cups each. Yum.

taco

• Members

Originally posted by papa taco

Call me un-Canadian, but I {censored}ing hate Tim Hortons. Their coffee is {censored} juice.

Vancouver has got to be the Starbucks capital of the world (next to Seattle). They are literally on every block. Kitty-corner. Everywhere. And they're always packed. Unbelievable.

Me? I drink organic stuff my wife picks up a the farmers market. Fresh ground every morning, it's a great thing to wake up to.

This morning, after topping my wife doggystyle, we had a couple cups each. Yum.

taco

You goddam Un-Canuck {censored}.

• Members

I drink Tim Hortons coffee...brewed at home in the morning. Wifey brought home a barrel of the stuff, and I have to almost roll it out of the pantry and up to the counter every morning to load up the coffee maker.

I cash in my airmiles every so often and buy Starbucks gift cards so I don't have to pay for coffee when I go out. Don't mind ordering the $5 pumpkin lattees when i'm not out of pocket.:)

Archived