Fulltone OCD = too loud

oldbenway

• Members

Hey folks--

My OCD is killing me. It is so hot, I have to keep both distortion and OD on 2 or 3 to keep a consistent level coming out of my quad reverb. I play an american standard tele with rio grande drop-in replacements.

Does this sound like it's running too hot? I mean, shouldn't LEVEL set to 12:00 be something close to unity gain? My FT Superdrive (v.1) is at unity gain at about 1:00 position.

Has anyone else had problems with this beast destroying your sound? Tghe way it is now, it's pretty useless to me--it's about as subtle as a Rat. I hate running effects at such a low output setting.

Anyways, anyone else have experience with the OCD being too loud? Anyone have some ideal settings they can post? I'd love to hear how others are using this pedal. I bought it without plugging it in, now I'm regretting it.

• Members

Just got mine last night. Off the bat 9-10 o'clock on the volume is where I set it. Drive and tone were at noon-ish. sounds great with my amp. I know what you mean about wanting to set pedal higher. I felt the same about the fuzz head. Hella output. Wasn't displeased with the OCD in the least, only had 20 minutes with it though. I don't know if I'm officially into the honeymoon phase yet.

• Members

Originally posted by The Gainster

Doesn't matter where the knobs are set. Make it sound good.

Hey Gainster,

In my search for info on the OCD I came across a post where you said you had other pedals that did the OCD type of OD better. Can you recommend anything in the same vein to check out? I'm playing a 3x10 EL34 amp, strat and 335.

Thanks!

Aaron

• Members

Lol I heard the same about the Plexitone, complaints about it being hot..hehe

Well it really depends alot from guitars to guitar, and the whole sound would become very different if you turned it down.

Well we could have made an internal master..but how silly would that be?

:D

Set the knobs where the good sound it, it is not visuals we are making sounds with;)

• Members

Some good thoughts, but I was expecting more from Fulltone. It's like recording, if you keep everything at +0, then you have a full spectrum of sound to work with. I have to keep my OCD at 2 and 2 (volume/overdrive), well, that leaves me 0 ground to work with! I can't set gain to 10 and volume to 4 or volume to 10 and gain to 2. I have nothing left to tweak my sound out.

So, "make it sound good" doesn't take into account that 80% of my palette is missing, because of these volume restrictions, it only make s2 sounds, HP and LP! I wish the web site had a discussion board, I would LOVE to send this back to them and have them make it a little more usable. Maybe Keeley will come up with a mod to bring this thing back down to planet earth.

The other problem, if it's EARLY in my signal chain, it overloads any effect pedals after (specifically any sort of digital modulation).

Maybe someone will make an attenuator pedal, or maybe I just need to craigslist this thing. Anyone wanna trade me a superdrive for it?

• Members

It might have a trimmer inside than can be adjusted to lower the volume. I have never had a need to open mine up. At this point, I don't ever see myself getting rid of this pedal. Its range of sound and quality of sound are an integral part of my setup.

Even with pedals with a full range of sound, the usually don't sound good over the whole range. Some don't have high quality sound anywhere.

Archived