Speakr Ohms In Dulxe Reverb

Mikoo69

• Members

Hey.

I have an original 1965 fender deluxe reverb...right now there is a Celestion G12T-100 Speaker in it, and i believe the speaker says 4ohms on it....I am looking into getting a Celestion GT12 Alnico Blue speaker (the 15 watt blue speakers)...i have heard these sound amazing, and trey from phish uses them with his 65 deluxe (i love his tone)...

anyway, what do you think about this speaker swap? Do I get the celestion blue in 8ohms? Why is the speaker i have now 4ohms? could that be a mistake?

ps. if anyone is interested in buying my celestion speaker, ill let it go fairly cheaply...its model G12T-100

• Members

Originally posted by Mikoo69

so if i do have a 4ohm speaker in there now, what would be the difference?? (maybe its just labeled wrong?

anyway, what does everyone think about putting the celestion blue 12 inch alnico speaker in the deluxe??

THe 4-ohm probably sounds a more efficent -- louder and brighter.

HBeing an original '65, the amp would now sell for over $2K if mostly original. While Inormally wouldn't worry about pushing a Fender output tranny with a 2:1 mismatch in impedance, I wouldn't want to stress a 40-year-old part.

I would go for a 8-ohm speaker. I've not been a fan of the Blue in a DR. The Blue uses a short voice coil (shorter than original) which makes it very bright and loud in low wattage applications but breaks out very harshly when pushed with more then 15 watts. Plus, I don't think the Blue's character compliments the scooped mids of the BF/SF Fender.

People have had great luck with a Greenback and the Reverened Alltone, but I prefer the Weber C12N clone (I believe it is now called the 12F150), he was a variant with a britis-style cone which might be right up your alley.

-Y.

• Members

I have a Blues Junior that uses an 8 ohm speaker. I added another 8 ohm speaker in parrallel to it (4 ohms) and it sounds fine. I consulted a tech who told me that Fender actually issued a special edition amp called the "Two Tone" that was basically a Blues Junior with a 10" and 12" speaker run in parrallel (4 ohms)

Bottom line is that it probably doesn't hurt it much but I would agree that maybe a nice new 8 ohm speaker would be better for your vintage piece.

• Members

wyatt,

your adivce sounds good, but i guess my inclination towards getting the blues was that Trey Anastasio from Phish uses a 65 deluxe with a 4x12 cab filled with the blues, and his tone in heavenly....does it make a differnece that hes using 4 of the speakers, and therefore it doesnt sound "harsh" at higher volume?? whats going on with that?

• Members

Originally posted by Wyatt

THe 4-ohm probably sounds a more efficent -- louder and brighter.

-Y.

Not true, a friend had the same thing with his '66 bassman, you're amp is working harder than it needs to, and it can seriously compromise your tone.

I've occasionally plugged my Deluxe into a cab with a Vintage 30... sounds killer.

• Members

Originally posted by gtrwiz

Not true, a friend had the same thing with his '66 bassman, you're amp is working harder than it needs to, and it can seriously compromise your tone.

I've occasionally plugged my Deluxe into a cab with a Vintage 30... sounds killer.

I already recommend he didn't mismatch the 40-year-old transformer.

As the the brighter and louder, that should be true. The rule of thumb is the 4-ohm will sound noticeably brioghter and louder hooked up to a 8-ohm secondary and a 16-ohm will sound warmer and quieter.

The Vintage 30 is another very popular DR speaker.

-Y.

• Members

wyatt,

your adivce sounds good, but i guess my inclination towards getting the blues was that Trey Anastasio from Phish uses a 65 deluxe with a 4x12 cab filled with the blues, and his tone in heavenly....does it make a differnece that hes using 4 of the speakers, and therefore it doesnt sound "harsh" at higher volume?? whats going on with that?

The Clestion Blue has a power handling of 15 watts. That means it really shouldn't be force to dissepate more than 15 watts of heat continuiously. A DR has 22 watt RMS, that pretty much mean it's maximum clean output is 22 watts (before the power amp starts to break up. That's a pretty 'iffy" matchup. Trey's cab, having 4 speakers has a power handling of 60 continuous watts.

Careful about trying to match a pro's equipment, much of their tone is recording and playing technique. But, also 4 speakers in a closed-back cabinet sound very different than 1 of the same speaker in a opened back combo.

WeberVST makes a Celestion Blues clone called the Blue Dog. You can order that as a 15-watt. 30-watt, or 50 watt speaker.

-Y.

• Members

alright, the 60 watt thing makes sense....so then what would be the best speaker for this amp?....im pretty much looking for a direct answer, and why that would be the choice....

.it seems that on the celestion site, on their guitar loudspeaker selector program, they reccomend the alnico blues for a 1x12 vintage combo, and the sound samples sound better to my ears than the greenbacks (for my taste at least)...im just getting mixed opinions now..

what wattage would be optimal?

i also heard great things about tone tubby hempcone speakers...whats the word on those??

• Members

For traditional spanky, twangy Fender tone (alt. country, etc.), probably a Weber 12F150W. It is also an extremely efficent speaker, so it delivers a lot of extra volume.

For rock, people have loved the Reverend Alltone and the Weber 12F150B. Both of these are C12N clones with british cones for a little more agressive tone. A lot have also loved the Vintagee 30, though many seem to prefer its Eminence clone (I *think* that is the Legend V12).

And the new Patriot/Redcoat series have been the most popular speakers of all lately. But I really don't knwo which is best for a DR, I haven't tried any. Allen uses the Red, White and Blues 12" in his amps now, and that is a stellar endorsement IMHO.

Narrowing all this down, if *I* were buying (and taste is subjective, so I don't want you to put too much in this), it would either be a 12F150W, 12F150B, or Red, White and Blues. The Weber's are also available in AlNiCo, if you think you'll push the amp, these will break up with a sweet compression. I just prefer Ceramic in a BF/SF Fender for tighter bass.

-Y.

• Members

Originally posted by Zooey

I would say check out Weber, but I'm looking at the Weber VST site now and I don't even recognize it from when I bought a Weber several years ago. Did they change all their model numbers?!

Yes, for the Jensen clones, they now go:

SIZE - MAGNET - DRIVER

Magent A=AlNiCo, F=Ceramic

Driver = 100=, 125=Q, 150 = N

So, what was a C12N is now a 12F150, a P10R is now a 10A100, etc. All his speciality suffixes changed too. FOr insteance the C12NT is now the 12F150W.

He changed them when the import Jensen RI's came out to avoid confusion and any possible legal threat.

None Jensen speakers have pretty much stayed the same.

-Y.

• Members

Originally posted by Wyatt

He changed them when the import Jensen RI's came out to avoid confusion and any possible legal threat.

That's too bad, because I think Jensen had abandoned those model names for a long time, and Weber had at least 5 years prior use. He should have stuck to his guns. Does the manufacturer of the Jensen reissues have any historical ties to the original company?

• Members

what about those tone tubby hempcone speakers?

WeberVST supplies Toen Tubby's prprietary frames adn drvies, which are based on the original Celestion Blue AlNiCo) and Tone Tubby assmbles and cones them. Very silimar to a Celestion Blue or Weber Blue Dog. People seem polarized on whether the hemp cone is any good, many prefer their paper cone, but most really like the speaker.

-Y.

• Members

Originally posted by Zooey

That's too bad, because I think Jensen had abandoned those model names for a long time, and Weber had at least 5 years prior use. He should have stuck to his guns. Does the manufacturer of the Jensen reissues have any historical ties to the original company?

Recoton bought the Jensen company years ago and relegated (sp??) the name to cheap inport car audio equipment (you may have seen Jensen car stereos in you local auto parts store, or perhaps a Kmart). Recoton contracted a company to make the current Jensen speakers.

To the best of my knowledge, Weber was under no duress to change the designations, he may have considered it a chance to come out from under the impression that he was just a Jensen clone maker.

-Y.

• Members

just got an email from tim at weber...he said

"The speaker we sell the most of to owners of that amp is the 12F150, 25 watt, lightly doped.

Big, tight low end with lots of punch and dynamics, and a smooth, warm high end."

im gonna go ahead and get this speaker,...should i reconsider?

Archived