will a tonebone get you SRV thru a champ amp?.

cadillacman

• Members

i want to put a tonebone thru a fender champ & i'm wondering if it'll be versitile enought to get SRV tones to say AC/DC,Sabbath tones ?..thanks..i read on the HC reviews it mushes out on the lower e stings & that's a problem w/getting into bluesy , & SRV stuff...anyone using this as an all around od/dis pedal playing classic rock & blues rock..will it get the intro to pride & joy?..my direct drive will & this guy's going to give me the tonebone for my DD & 40 bucks...can i go wrong?..thanks

• Members

Fender Champs break up so easily I have to wonder why you would need to put a stomp pedal in front of one.
I'm not much help but the standard formula for SRV tone seems to be: Strat with heavy strings+tube screamer+Fender Super Reverb. But of course a lot of the tone was in his hands and you can't buy that.

• Members

I know nothing about the Tonebone, but I suspect that the deal you describe might be worthy of consideration. Perhaps, you could get this fellow to consider letting you borrow the TB for a couple days, or maybe even give you a 2-3 day "return policy" on the deal.

A cranked Champ alone would probably be the best way to get an "SRV tone" out of a Champ, but it's going to mush out on the lower notes, because it's only a 6 watt (probably less) amp, with a tiny OT. Even run through a 2x12 cabinet, you're not going to get earth shattering lows from a Champ.

Do AC/DC and Sabbath guitar tones sound the same to you? I've always considered definitive AC/DC as nearly clean, very well defined and articulate, with just enough hair to make it sound aggressive and meaty, whereas "my" definition of a Sabbath tone would be heavily distorted, inarticulate, and grinding, almost to the point of "mushy."

• Members

I'm not much help but the standard formula for SRV tone seems to be: Strat with heavy strings+tube screamer+Fender Super Reverb.

His amps were touched by the magical hands of Ceasar, so they weren't quite stock, but essentially, any BF Fender loaded with EVM's and pushed hard would get you into that tone realm.

It's not really a requirement, however. If you ever get the chance to see Michael Burks live, he plays through a Dr. Z Delta 88, and I personally have never heard anyone play and sound more like SRV at any time, other than SRV himself. The difference with Michael is that he can turn it on and off like a switch. The SRV thing isn't even his main style.

Michael Burks

• Members

Originally posted by m-theory

His amps were touched by the magical hands of Ceasar, so they weren't quite stock, but essentially, any BF Fender loaded with EVM's and pushed hard would get you into that tone realm.

It's not really a requirement, however. If you ever get the chance to see Michael Burks live, he plays through a Dr. Z Delta 88, and I personally have never heard anyone play and sound more like SRV at any time, other than SRV himself. The difference with Michael is that he can turn it on and off like a switch. The SRV thing isn't even his main style.

I dig Michael Burks.

• Members

so, if i crank up the champ w/ a jensen in it,i can get some SRV tones?. at least close?..& if i want anything else do you think the tonebone will do the trick?..be versitile enough ?...I like the Direct Drive ...but for some reason i feel i ought to take the deal,what do yo guys think?...& i will ask him if i can get a trial period w/ the tonebone & run it thru a sf'd princeton i have...but i don't think he'll go for the trial period....thanks for your opinions in advance

• Members

so, if i crank up the champ w/ a jensen in it,i can get some SRV tones?.

Not really, but if all you've got are small Fenders (and, assuming that both are fully up to snuff electronically, and the speakers aren't junk), simply cranking the Champ or the SF Princeton will get you as close to an SRV tone as plugging a pedal into one of them would.

However, a lot of what made SRV's tone was playing those nasty heavy guage strings into a cranked 40 watt Fender loaded with EVM's. He had a very meaty, ballsy, thumping tone, and you're not going to get that with a Champ or Princeton, with or without a pedal.

If you REALLY want to get into the SRV tone world, grab yourself a BFSR, put a beefier OT in it, load it with EVM's, string your strat with industrial bailing wire, plug into an old Tubescreamer, crank the amp, and wail away.

I don't personally know anything about the Tonebone, but if you feel like it's something you need, make the deal. What's the worst that can happen? You don't like it, and you have to sell it and get something else. No biggie. Enjoy the journey.

• Members

Originally posted by m-theory

If you ever get the chance to see Michael Burks live, he plays through a Dr. Z Delta 88, and I personally have never heard anyone play and sound more like SRV at any time, other than SRV himself. The difference with Michael is that he can turn it on and off like a switch. The SRV thing isn't even his main style.

Does Michael sound anything like Albert King?

• Members

i received the tonebone today & it is a great pedal...nice..i dialed up a nice tone right off, but theres is many tones in it ..none are bad,,i don't think...i put it thru a marshall 50 watter clean ch..of a 4210 ..sweet...srv is there..close enough for now i guess...thanks for the input...bestt pedal i've ever heard!..kevin

• Members

I assume you got the Tonebone 'Classic'? I think one of the soundclips on tonebone's website for the Classic is 'SRV something or other'. If I remember rightly the Classic is based on preamp of a tweed Fender Bassman. You won't be getting AC/DC from it though. Need the TOnebone Hot British.

Archived