good cab/speakers to excentuate high end of a dark amp

• Members

I'm thinking about selling off my prosonic to finance a cab for my fender bassman clone, which doesn't have quite enough high end bite through my current sunn cab w/ old crappy 12 inch speakers.

I have a thermsonic el-34 amp with a highend that sounds a bit too shrill through my cab...but my main focus is upon the bassman.

Any suggestions for particular cab brands, speaker brands/models, or cab/speaker configurations that might sound good?

I might add that I have a 40 oz alnico weber blue pup that's not currently being used...I understand it's a good speaker. Maybe I could put it in a cab.

• Members

Originally posted by pontiusplaymate

I might add that I have a 40 oz alnico weber blue pup that's not currently being used...I understand it's a good speaker. Maybe I could put it in a cab.

You could also put it in your pants.

Guy that rebuilt my Princeton took the labels off the speaker and won't tell me what it is, but I'm pretty sure it's a blue pup, and I know it's fantastic.

• Members

while I'm at it, I'm also thinking of replacing the prosonic with a lower wattage amp. I want something with enough clean headroom to play semi-clean with a drummer, and a reverb could be nice. Icing would be good gainy channel. ~550-750 (shipped)

You actually might really dig a Princeton or a Princeton Reverb. No second channel, but it breaks up nice at ten. I think they've got it all over Deluxe Reverbs, personally. Not quite loud enough for a two-guitar band, but probably just right for a trio.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

You actually might really dig a Princeton or a Princeton Reverb. No second channel, but it breaks up nice at ten. I think they've got it all over Deluxe Reverbs, personally. Not quite loud enough for a two-guitar band, but probably just right for a trio.

The PR will break up more than the Princeton. The Princeton (non-reverb) gets just a little bit crunchy around the edges when dimed, but is mostly clean (in my experience--I own a brown tolex Princeton). Whether it has enough power for a trio or not depends on the drummer. I hope you have the good fortune to play with a tasteful drummer who can vary his dynamics to suit the situation!

• Members

btw, I realized all on my own that excentuate is not a word.

ok, good. i was sitting here, all "accentuate? extraineous? cthulu?". ;)

also, how much would you want for the speaker? i've a feeling it would feel right at home in my HRD; 10" or 12"? PM/IM a brother.

Archived