OT: The need for space

incubass

• Members

I'm the kind of person who has alot of superficial people I know and have a good rapport with from school and work, but I only have a handful of really close friends. I enjoy those people because they provide an escape from the monotony of daily life and allow me to display different sides of my personality I couldn't otherwise.

So anyway, one of my better friends is back from grad school and he and I have been hanging out and such. Now I very much needed this because my roommate drives me crazy at times and I needed an outlet where I could hang out without him being around. I mean my roommate it a nice enough fellow but I need my space.

My roommate does not seem to understand this concept. He has become an absolute social leach. He has systematically imposed himself into basically every social scene I have. I'm about to love my goddamn mind.

I don't even want to hang out with my friends anymore because I know I'll spend the majority of the time pissed about the lack of space. My roommate is not socially outgoing and so it seems he's just trying to ride the gravy train of my own well-developed friendships. I can't explode at my roommate b/c he's filling in for my band on bass...luckily we have a new bassist coming on board in the next week or so if everything goes well...I'm planning on unloading on my roommate shortly thereafter...anyone else got consolation stories about people who infringe on your space?

• Members
Originally posted by incubass

I'm about to love my goddamn mind.

Nice :)

I do know what you mean though. I'm a pretty private person at home and when I was in college I shared a house with an Armenian guy. Great guy, lots of fun. But he didn't have the same concepts of space and privacy that I did.

He never saw any problem with going through my stuff looking for books or cds to borrow. Used to freak me out when he would say stuff like "Hey I was in your room the other day and I saw this, it's cool" When I knew that whatever he found was at the bottom of a huge pile of stuff.

• Members

okay, so now my seriousness:

i'm similar. i needs muh space too. sometimes being alone is good for me. one of my best friends (and musical compadres) doesn't understand this and constantly tries to latch on. it gets on me nerves, but then i calm down.

also, i think he's secretly gay and in love with me and our bass player. for serious.

• Members

Originally posted by Montag

okay, so now my seriousness:

i'm similar. i needs muh space too. sometimes being alone is good for me. one of my best friends (and musical compadres) doesn't understand this and constantly tries to latch on. it gets on me nerves, but then i calm down.

also, i think he's secretly gay and in love with me and our bass player. for serious.

You could have just told me, you don't have to humiliate me in front of everyone.

And you wish.

• Members

Originally posted by Merkin

Is that someone you pay to go be a {censored}head in dangerous places ?

Yes, but i forgot to include gutless in my reply.

To be succinct, Incu comes off as a gutless and mercenary {censored}head. Maybe he's a saint in disguise but i can't discern that from his post.

• Members

Anyways...

1. I'm the same way. In fact, thats the reason I never had a roommate. I knew I'd hate it. I just can't stand anyone in my face all the time. I lived alone until eventually I moved in w/ my fiance, and even then we had two rooms.

2. I know a guy who reminds me of your roommate, mainly because he's socially inept, the kind of guy who tries way too hard to be witty, and comes across like he thinks you, your mother, your friends and everyone else in the world are the absolute stupidest people in the world. Everyone I've ever introduced him to has asked me later on "wtf is that guy's problem?".

Anyways, his girlfriend recently dumped him and he had to get his own place. He told me he was looking for a roommate for the explicit purpose of "being a social leech". Those were his exact words. he had every intention of doing exactly that, meeting friends by just injecting himseklf into someone else's scene.

So... as astounding as it seems, people like that are out there.

Archived