A Johnny Cash rarity for y'all....

• Members

I know many of you are like me and love Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison and San Quentin albums. Here's one that's out of print, Inside a Swedish Prison. Enjoy!

Here's the tracklist:

01 Orleans Parish Prison

02 Jacob Green

03 Me and Bobby McGee

04 The Prisoner's Song

05 Invertebraes

06 That Silver Haired Daddy of Mine

07 City Jail

08 Life of a Prisoner

09 Looking Back in Anger

10 Nobody Cared

11 Help Me Make It Through the Night

12 I Saw a Man

Johnny Cash - Inside a Swedish Prison

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

08 Life of a Prisoner

10 Nobody Cared

Did these ones get cut off somehow? When I unzipped them they were only 28 secs and 17 secs long respectively. Did i screw something up somehow?

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

Have you guys heard they have a movie about Johnny coming out next month? with river phoenix's brother and reese witherspoon? I don't know how to feel.

WHat's his name....Wah-Keen? My feelings on the matter are that it will make a good rental.

My wife just bought me the PBS documentary on the Carter Family. If Bill Monroe was the father of bluegrass all he did was donate the sperm. Maybelle gave birth to it.

Anyways...thanks a lot BillyGrahamCracker...thanks a lot for making me wish I had something faster than 24k dial up.

• Members

Originally posted by sh333

Did these ones get cut off somehow? When I unzipped them they were only 28 secs and 17 secs long respectively. Did i screw something up somehow?

That's how they were when I found it. Whoever ripped it from vinyl and put it online is the one to take it up with. I was sad about it, too. Sorry I didn't warn you. His cover of "Me and Bobby McGee" is kind of fun, though.

• Members

Originally posted by chadomac

whoa cool!

which albums are best to check out for new johnny cash listeners?

Here's what I guess I'd suggest. Get a greatest hits sort of CD so you can get his "hits." Also, check out At Folsom Prison, as it's just something else. And check out some of his modern stuff with Rick Rubin. That last one IV, is probably my favorite of that stuff. But the 5-disc box set from those sessions is amazing. I can get it to you sometime this week if you want. (I'm about to head back to bed, but I'll jump onto AIM and see if I can get that started).

• Members

That's how they were when I found it. Whoever ripped it from vinyl and put it online is the one to take it up with. I was sad about it, too. Sorry I didn't warn you. His cover of "Me and Bobby McGee" is kind of fun, though.

Thanks for the explanation. I thought maybe I messed up something when I DL'ed it.

Thanks again for doing this!!!! Loved the entire thing. That program/website was really cool. Let me know if there is anything you are looking for that I could send you.

Not sure what stuff you dig, but A buddy of mine is ripping from Viynl the Ruts DC record "Animal Now" somtime this week if you are interested.

• Members

Originally posted by chadomac

whoa cool!

which albums are best to check out for new johnny cash listeners?

He had 4 compilations made right at the end of his life, called Life, Muder, Love and God. Those four, I think, best represent his work. Especially the latter three.

American IV, The Man Comes Around is a mind-blowing album. Unchained is also an amazing album, and is the album that precipitated the publishing of the famous middle finger photograph in Billboard magazine, because it won a grammy without the support of Nashville radio stations, who had written him off as washed up and too unhip, and wouldn't play any of his new music.

Those are all recently-published records, of course. It's hard to pick old ones because his catalogue is so gigantic.

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

Here's a Johnny Cash question...

How do you explain his importance and influence and brilliance to a person who doesn't "get" him? Like, a person who listens, and points out that he isn't a particularly good singer?

You: You have to like him, dear. You're marrying me.

Her: Whatever.

Anyway, I agree with your above comments. My grandma, who lives down by you, was just talking about the same thing when she came up to visit a month or so ago. You have all of these folks down there like George Jones, Charlie Louvin, etc., and while they're respected for what they DID, the only stuff to be played or liked is the garbage that passes for country now.

And it's sad that it took Rick Rubin to bring Johnny back, as nobody down there would put down their Garth Brooks or Martina McBride long enough to give him the time of day. {censored} them, I say.

• Members

Thanks for the explanation. I thought maybe I messed up something when I DL'ed it.

Thanks again for doing this!!!! Loved the entire thing. That program/website was really cool. Let me know if there is anything you are looking for that I could send you.

Not sure what stuff you dig, but A buddy of mine is ripping from Viynl the Ruts DC record "Animal Now" somtime this week if you are interested.

I'll let you know if there's anything I want. And yeah, I've become addicted to that Yousendit.com site. My brother and I bounce albums back and forth all the time, as well as WAV tracks for stuff we're working on, etc. It really is a nice service.

I guess I'd like to see folks here really starting to use it. I know it'd be unethical to just start posting actual albums with it (that'd have to be reserved for PMs and emails, I guess), but stuff like this Cash album, that's out of print and rare, I have no problems with sharing out in the open.

• Members

my favorite quote about Johnny:

Johnny Cash has been speaking to me for a long, long time. It's one of the sweetest voices in my mind. Even after the song is done you hear him, you see him standing up for what we need and love. He's always there, the tallest figure in the circle of integrity, the deepest voice when night comes down, and the bravest take on sanity in the midst of wild confusion. Thank you, sir. The generations will be listening.

• Members

I'll let you know if there's anything I want. And yeah, I've become addicted to that Yousendit.com site. My brother and I bounce albums back and forth all the time, as well as WAV tracks for stuff we're working on, etc. It really is a nice service.

I guess I'd like to see folks here really starting to use it. I know it'd be unethical to just start posting actual albums with it (that'd have to be reserved for PMs and emails, I guess), but stuff like this Cash album, that's out of print and rare, I have no problems with sharing out in the open.

Cool, I agree that the OOP stuff is pretty much fair game.

Is there some way of emailing the track list from my Itunes to you? That way you could see what I have and we could trade around using Yousendit.com instead of the godawful programs like Kazaa etc.

• Members

Cool, I agree that the OOP stuff is pretty much fair game.

Is there some way of emailing the track list from my Itunes to you? That way you could see what I have and we could trade around using Yousendit.com instead of the godawful programs like Kazaa etc.

Yeah, with out-of-print and live stuff, I just figure that I'm NOT taking money out of anyone's pocket, so why worry.

And I don't know how that itunes thing works at all. I've resisted using it, to the point that my wife and I got a Dell mp3 player (which I actually like better, even though she's claimed it for her own). Although I might be getting a free ipod in the next bit, as my sister-in-law just bought a new mac and is getting a free ipod with it, so she's probably going to give me her old one. Alas, our cellphone is still in my wife's name, so i can at least claim that I don't have one of those. I'm a very bad Luddite these days.

• Members

I will say that one of the coolest things I've ever seen was an outbreak of "Cash RIP" graffiti all over Nashville after he died.

For a country-assed honky white boy to get that kind of respect without pandering for it, that's {censored}ing cool.

• Members

Read this on the Massenburg rec forum posted by one of the guys who was among the last to record Johnny Cash in his cabin/studio;

"I believe that the song is a traditional, which means it's very possible it was in the Carter Family repetoire. Of course, a lot of those songs that the Carter Family made popular, like "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" were traditionals.

Not to get off topic, but what kills me about "Far Side" is that nobody ever thought June would die first, so when I got back from her funeral and listened to the song and she sang the line "If it proves to be His will that I am first to cross, and somehow I've a feeling it will be," it sent chills down my spine.

The other thing about that particular recording was that when we cut it, we did it all live, but Johnny was so sick and so weak with pneumonia at that time (about seven years ago) and he had just been in a coma, that his vocal had to be redone. Rodney Crowell, who was playing guitar had just lost his father and was very close to Johnny and he was losing it during that take. Marty Stuart, Norman Blake and Dave Rowe who were playing were also very close to Johnny and June, and when they finished that take, there was not a dry eye in the cabin. Johnny was too weak to do a second take, so we made a plan to go back to Hendersonville to do some more recording, which was postponed when Johnny went into yet another coma. So the take that is on this recording happened within a week of Johnny coming out of his coma, and that was the only take I got, because of his pneumonia. It's that urgency that I think comes through that just breaks my heart. Also, those two loved each other so much that the lyrics are so moving. Talk about having to capture the emotion of a performance!"
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/7294/0

Far Side Banks of Jordan
http://homepage.mac.com/jjblair/.cv/jjblair/Sites/.Public/03%20The%20Far%20Side%20Banks%20Of%20Jordan.m4a-zip.zip

• Members

Originally posted by bigtonemusic

WHat's his name....Wah-Keen? My feelings on the matter are that it will make a good rental.

My wife just bought me the PBS documentary on the Carter Family. If Bill Monroe was the father of bluegrass all he did was donate the sperm. Maybelle gave birth to it.

Anyways...thanks a lot BillyGrahamCracker...thanks a lot for making me wish I had something faster than 24k dial up.

according to yr "Location" you actually live INSIDE JOACQUIN PHOENIX! it's like Being John Malkovich only with a more latino name! AHHHHHH!

ahem, but, um, yeah, good documentary that is...

Archived