Who here uses Tivo?

mofx4me

• Members

Originally posted by mofx4me

or any other DVR? I'm so sick of my VCR but have stayed away from Tivo because I don't want to pay a monthly fee. I can program it myself, dammit.

Are there anyways to get around the subscription? How about with replaytv?

the subscription is for advanced programming (like days ahead) and Season ticket.....That said - Season ticket (or whatever its called) is like gold - set it once and forget - never miss your show....

Now, I dont necessarily use it - but my wife and kid do and they love it....I do like the fact I can just punch a couple of buttons when I have to leave and what to quickly record something....Its so amazingly powerful and easy - the additional monthly fee does not bother me in the least....My time is worth more than a few cents a day....

• Members

You absolutely will not be able to go back.
Tivo would be the personal computing equivalent of the latest Apple OS running on a super-fast dual processor G5. Smooth, fluid, fast, super-stable, and dead-simple to use. The Scientific Atlantic DVR that Time Warner offers (as well as many other cable providers) is like Windows 98 running on an ancient PC that can barely handle it. Clunky, slow, awkward, prone to crashing, and a real pain to figure out how to use.
Now it is VERY important that you understand that the monthly Tivo service charge is almost EXACTLY the same as what your cable provider will charge you for the use of their "free" DVR.
I initially tried a Time Warner provided DVR (a Scientific Atlantic unit). TW sold me on the idea that the box would be "free", and they would only add a $5.00 charge to my monthy cable bill. However I was surprised to find a $11.00 charge on the actual bill month after month. Turns out, they charge $5 for the service, and another $6 for the "license" to use the box. At that point I realised I could just as well pay an extra dollar and get Tivo. However I stuck with the TW DVR for about 10 months. In that time, I went through one unit that only worked intermitently. Sometimes it might record a programmed show...and sometimes not. Sometimes it might decide to record about half of a show, followed by a half hour of a blank screen and no sound. I just never knew what it was going to do. TW eventually replaced it with a new unit that simply stopped working altogether after a couple of months. I made the jump to Tivo right then, and never looked back. Never had a single problem in two years since.
The thing is, the Tivo monthly charge is exactly the same as what you would pay for a cable company provided DVR (regardless of what your cable company may advertise). So this basically means that the only difference is the initial investment required by you in purchasing a Tivo box. And luckily these days Tivo is selling their basic unit for a mere $50. Let me tell you, you will not regret that $50 investment for a second.
I now have a single Humax Tivo/DVD-burning unit that has completely replaced my old Tivo, my VCR, and my DVD player. It will record something I've programmed off live tv, while simultaneously playing back a another previously recorded program off the hard-drive, while simultaneously burning yet another previously recorded program to DVD (in less than 10 minutes for a full DVD). It's a dream come true. Long live Tivo!!!!

• Members

I have bought a 40 and an 80 GB RePlay for my parents on two separate occasions. They would vaporize without them. I did a lot of research on them before picking RePlay over TiVo and the odds seemed to be in RePlay's favor. I actually don't remember a lot of them now but there are a lot of different sites out there that compare them. One of the things (at the time anyways) was that RePlay was a private company so they didn't have to give in to commercials. I wish I could remember it all now but try doing some searches to find the pages that do a direct comparison.

• Members

Comcast gave me a DVR, with no extra monthly fee to use it.

I use it from time to time, but it hasn't revolutionized my life.

It's not one the "dual input" DVRs, so I can't record one thing while watching another, which I find to be a seriously grating fact.

Though it does allow me to record the all the latenight Comedy Central stuff.

If it had two inputs so I could record and watch at the same time, it would be way... way better.

• Members

Also, as an addendum to my previous post, I'm finding that Comcast's new thing called "On Demand" is making the DVR much less important, since most shows are available to me whenever I want to watch them. I just go in to the On Demand menu, select the channel, the show, then the episode, and watch it.

For instance, I've missed both episodes of Extras so far. I checked at lunch, both are ready and waiting for me whenever I feel like watching them.

I love MythBusters on Discovery, but I don't even know when it comes on, because there are a dozen episodes in the On Demand menu. So I watch it whenever.

I'm not sure how extensive the On Demand thing is, it may not record everything.

• Members

Yeah, Tivo is awesome.

Well worth the monthly fee.

Does anyone know whether you have to pay the monthly fee? I always thought you could just use it as a VCR (manually record time/channel) and to pause live tv for a half hour if you didn't pay the fee.

I figured I'd do that after the free 3 month trial subscription ran out.

But Tivo changed the way I watch TV, and it's well worth forgoing a couple of cups of coffee each month to have the programming and stuff.

• Members
Originally posted by ElectricMayhem

DVR is the way to go. No phoneline hookup and no extra fees. Works just the same, as far as I can tell. I use mine all the time. It's one of the greatest entertainment innovations yet.

Our Tivo had to dial up once, but now we connect to the tivo service via our broadband internet connection.

Archived