Do Pedal Makers learn from customer feedback?

Lanefair

• Members

I often wonder this. I think a lot of boutique makers do, that's what makes their products so good. But when I think of bigger companies like boss, it's clear (on HC at least) which pedals are highly sought after and which ones need modding and which ones are god awful.

Yet you don't get many reissues as a result.

Or do you?

• Members

I think what you need to take into consideration is the fact that forums like HC represent a TINY percentage of effect purchasing guitarists. The number of people I meet who know anything about rare or sought after effects, or boutique gear is very small.

So, while people on this forum might all want a reissue of a classic effect, that number is tiny compared to the people that walk into GC and buy whatever Boss is selling now.

• Members

Originally posted by Merkin

I think what you need to take into consideration is the fact that forums like HC represent a TINY percentage of effect purchasing guitarists. The number of people I meet who know anything about rare or sought after effects, or boutique gear is very small.

So, while people on this forum might all want a reissue of a classic effect, that number is tiny compared to the people that walk into GC and buy whatever Boss is selling now.

+1

I went into a local guitar shop last week and asked if they stocked Fulltone or ZVex stuff and this guy just gave me a vacant look of bemusement.

p.s. if anyone in the UK is interested, this shop stocks the new valve Epiphone amps which I have'nt seen elsewhere in the UK. Let us know if anyone's interested, and I'll enquire about them for you.

• Members

Fair point, but surely the opinions in these forums count for something?

Example: Danelectro Rocky Road. Renowned for being too loud, until you mod it so you can have unity gain. Why don't they fix it? Or those mods to the Phase 90, I hear they're pretty basic. Surely mods like these don't involve any extra costs at the production stage?

• Members

Originally posted by phoenix_76

p.s. if anyone in the UK is interested, this shop stocks the new valve Epiphone amps which I have'nt seen elsewhere in the UK. Let us know if anyone's interested, and I'll enquire about them for you.

I know people who are interested, if it's genuinely in stock and available to buy!

I learn from HC reviews - someone complained bitterly about the jack placement on one of my pedals, I thought about it and he was right. 'Course, I'd have preferred it if he'd asked first - he could have had them that way to begin with!

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

I know people who are interested, if it's genuinely in stock and available to buy!

Yep they're definitely in stock as I saw them on display with my own mince pies. They had 2 models on show, the smallest one and the one that's just up in size from that. I have to say they do look quite natty and was tempted but was in a rush so did'nt get time to try them. I remember the guy saying the smallest one was about

• Members

Originally posted by Lanefair

Fair point, but surely the opinions in these forums count for something?

Yes, definitely. I know of at least two boutique pedal makers who have used suggestions I and others I know have offered them. Obviously makers pick and choose what they think will work or if it's a worthy adjustment, but I'd be a little sceptical of makers who accepted no player feedback during development of a design or even after it's hit the market.

There's nearly always some way you can improve on even the most well thought out design. That's why all these 10s in the reviews need to be taken with a bucket of salt.

Guest Anonymous

Surely mods like these don't involve any extra costs at the production stage?

o rly?

• Members

Surely mods like these don't involve any extra costs at the production stage?

not at all, even somthing simple like moving a part will require the production line to be completely reset to allow for the changes, and things like pcb's will often need to be changed to take into account the new parts

simple enough on a small scale like most boutique makers, but on the level of boss rather costly in downtime nd the like

David

• Members

Originally posted by Narcosynthesis

not at all, even somthing simple like moving a part will require the production line to be completely reset to allow for the changes, and things like pcb's will often need to be changed to take into account the new parts

simple enough on a small scale like most boutique makers, but on the level of boss rather costly in downtime nd the like

David

yeah but how come for some pedals that are part of a series (DD-3/5/6 for example) the later versions aren't as popular as the earlier ones. Same goes for the RV pedals.

• Members

yeah but how come for some pedals that are part of a series (DD-3/5/6 for example) the later versions aren't as popular as the earlier ones. Same goes for the RV pedals.

Once again, I think you're confusing HC with real life. For most people, whatever is the latest Boss model that is on the shelf when they walk into a shop is the one they buy.

• Members

Flock mentality, usually. Guitarists love moaning about how the latest isn't as good as the original, and if a couple of people say it vehemently enough then everyone else seems to decide that it's true.

• Members

We depending on reviews and feedback to make things better. That is how we design mods! We look at the common complaints and turn them around.
Check out the new keeley compressor, Java Boost, etc, they have the DC jack on the end of the pedal now. The SD-1 mod now has a killer mod to make it sound better when off, etc. The TS9 is a perfect example of us taking all the common problems players have. We've take all of them and made them part of our package.
Thanks goodness for HC reviews that are less than perfect 10s!
Robert

• Members

customer complaints/reviews are the reason why my website and complete linup is being revamped.

So yeah. Smaller builders do listen....

But the larger ones TELL YOU what to buy with their 50,000.00 dollars worth of ads in all the magazines every month.

They don't try to "fill a need" they try to "create the need" thats the major difference between the small guys and the larger corps.

and like the sheep we sometimes are.. We rush out and buy them.

• Members

while I hear everyone bringing up good points, it's still silly why some mass produced pedals that suck in the low-end, don't have some bigger caps here and there to begin with.

Given that these parts are easy to swap, why would Boss continue to sell thin-sounding SD-1's with 0.047uF caps, when they can make them with 0.1uF caps for no extra cost?
I mean, if you order 200.000 of those caps, I doubt there will be a price difference.

Archived