custom delay pedal requirements. possible?

roabre999

• Members

I was wondering if the following pedal would be possible.

Here's what I need.

I need a pedal with a random delay between 0 - 1second. Each time has to be random. Also, the initial actual sound can not be heard, just the random delayed signal with a single repeat.

This is what it's for.

When trapshooting, the shooter says "pull" into a mic. The mic sends the signal and triggers the release of the clay piegon. What they need is a 1/4" in then the pedal then a 1/4" out. They basically want to be able to say "pull" and then have it delayed from 0 to 1 second and anything in between to make the whole system random. Is this possible? Is there any way to jury-rig an existing pedal? Or is it possible to get something made to these specs. I would need 5 of them.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Most modern delays are based around some variation of the PT2399 delay chip which triggers based on a standard digital pattern. It's highly programmable but doesn't contain a random number generator - that would have to be put into another logic chip along with your interface code. Doable and not rocket science, but you need a good digital/analog tech. Short runs would be very expensive.

• Members

The more I think about it the more I think about triggering. Using the 1/4" inputs to trigger say a DM5 drum machine. I'll have to look to see if theres some setting I could play with that would allow me to mute the original signal and then trigger a delayed sound. It only has 4 outputs but then the key would be this.

Have each of the 4 channels on seperate delays...

channel 1 = 0.0ms
channel 2 = 0.25ms
channel 3 = 0.75ms
channel 4 = 1.00sec

THEN all you would need would be some sort of scrolling or rotating switcher that would run each input through the four channels, one at a time. depending on which channel the trigger was set for when they yelled pull might trigger varying delays....

They're trying to find a cheaper workaround than upgrading the whole system which costs $6,000.00 The $6,000 system has everything built into one box. They're thinking if they could just feed random delayed signals to the system they have they should be able to save some money. Right now you yell pull, and it sends out a clay pigeon. So people have been getting into the rhythm of the pull/send timing. Adding a delay factor really gets away from that since you don't know when it will be coming...

• Members

It's possible but it won't be easy. Doing in digitally in a PC or something would be the easiest way. Probably a couple hours of programming max (less for some one with experience).

Using discrete electronics, it would be possible with a delay chip and some kind of Pseudo-Noise sequence generator. Of course a PN generator is deterministic, but if you make the starting offset random and the length long enough, no one would be able to follow it.

Don't know if you could find anything off the shelf. Maybe one of the rack mount units does something like this.

Archived