just got off the phone with Erik Euthymia....

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

You know that you're lying. It was actually Erik Estrada and it wasn't "off the phone," it was "out of a men's room stall at a filling station."

ACTUALLY...

it was Eric Lindross, and we were out behind the dumpster at Dunkin Donuts. :(

• Members

Originally posted by delorean

ACTUALLY...

it was Eric Lindross, and we were out behind the dumpster at Dunkin Donuts.
:(

In college, I was close friends with his cousin. I used to make jokes about what a {censored} he was (because, of course, he IS a {censored}), but I'd have to be careful. Even though she was an attractive girl, she was NOT a {censored}. They grow them Canadian girls big 'n' strong, let me tell you! Too bad you can't say the same for the boys.

• Members

Originally posted by delorean

... says he's got a series of mods for the Epi Valve Junior that will run ~$50 and vastly improvify it.

bringing mine over after work tonite!!

yeah, he guts it and sticks a smokey amp in it. :p

ok... ok...

I'm actually intrigued. Let us know what happens.

• Members

What I do is:

1. Swap the output tube for a JJ EL84. The Sovtek it comes with sounds like poop.

2. Fix the input so that instead of resembling the Fender "low" input, it resembles the "high" input. Lower series resistance and higher impedance.

3. Jumper the input jack's PCB ground to the ground plane on the PCB to get rid of the ridiculous hum.

4. Remove the voltage divider between the first two gain stages. They're throwing away a whole lotta signal in there.

Also, on the prototype test beast, we added a speaker impedance switch.

I'm planning on publishing documentation for this on my website after I get more feedback (MORE FEEDBACK!) from clients.

• Members

Originally posted by Euthymia

I'm planning on publishing documentation for this on my website after I get more feedback (MORE FEEDBACK!) from clients.

here's some feedback (or a request of sorts): any way to tune it for a more Vox-y tone? better still would be the ability to toggle b/t Vox and Fender voicings...

• Members

With this first round, we're just limiting it to component swaps and other non-invasive mods. No drilling.

The resulting circuit winds up looking most like a tweed Champ.

To get a "Vox" voicing would require a tone control of some sort, which would require drilling.

I'm planning on doing a 2-knob tone stack, and there's no reason that couldn't be adjusted for Vox or Fender balance.

No reason I can see now, that is. :-)

• Members

so i brought the VJ over to Erik last nite... and he got started on the mod while i waited. even with just a coupla tweaks, the thing was already sounding oodles better! i'm stoked.

oh, and he's also installing an 8 ohm spkr out for increased versatility and goodness.

more to come as this story develops.

• Members

Remember, it had already been retubed when you heard it. (JJ's right?) A cheap upgrade considering how few tubes, yet some people who'd buy that thing would get it stock and not even retube it. I can't wait to hear the new&improved version.

Archived