Thinking of getting into building effects pedals...

jason

• Members
Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

It's not like inductors are any harder to handle than any other component.
:confused:

but they have mojo, and if you don't handle them right, the mojo will leak out.

as far as a first effects build, try a one transistor boost. whatever you try, I predict you will be running your own sucessful effects business in 7 months, which seems to be the normal time around here to go from total newbie to effects guru...

• Members

Originally posted by fernmeister

as far as a first effects build, try a one transistor boost. whatever you try, I predict you will be running your own sucessful effects business in 7 months, which seems to be the normal time around here to go from total newbie to effects guru...

Also you need big caps, the bigger the better!

• Members

whatever you try, I predict you will be running your own sucessful effects business in 7 months, which seems to be the normal time around here to go from total newbie to effects guru...

I resent that comment! :mad:

I'm not much more than a solder monkey who can paint-by-numbers and avoid cold solder joints. ;)

• Members

If he can, more power to him. It's been years since I started wanting to design and build pedals, and I only finally getting around to doing it (and i have 2 EE degrees). I've build the odd kit or diy project, but never got into it enough to do design work.

Another good thing to check out is the Craig Anderton book called Electronic Projects for Musicians. It's old, but I think they recently reissued it. Tons of cool projects that are off the beaten path. Plus you can still buy the circuit boards (and possibly kits) from www.paia.com.

I'd go with fernmeisters suggestion and start was a 1 transistor boost. Learn what the circuit is doing (transistor bias, gain of the circuit, decoupling caps and their filtering, etc) and then move on to something a bit more complicated (like a 2 transistor fuzz).

Do you have any electronics background? Can you Solder?

Archived