When in a relationship is it ok to start leaving your stuff over?

Thelonius

• Members

A band relationship that is.

I'm thinking of leaving my amp there next time I go. Now that I have another amp at home especially.

I grow tired of hauling it.

But I've never left it anywhere. I'll have separation anxiety.

Of course the place is perfectly safe, and the guy whose house it's at is totally cool and said I can keep it there. The drums stay there as well.

Just wondering how many of you do that.

• Members

last time I left an amp at a drummer's house was when I was using a Sovtek MIG 100 head and KMD 4x12" cab...

...I came back the next practice and the mid control was at zero...

:eek:

...so if you do, you will leave it open to being "plugged in" by any other musicians that visit said bandmembers home...

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

A band relationship that is.

I'm thinking of leaving my amp there next time I go. Now that I have another amp at home especially.

I grow tired of hauling it.

But I've never left it anywhere. I'll have separation anxiety.

Of course the place is perfectly safe, and the guy whose house it's at is totally cool and said I can keep it there. The drums stay there as well.

Just wondering how many of you do that.

it never ceases to amaze me how sexualised and homo-erotic rock bands are. relationships, breaking up, being faithful, where the gear goes; honestly!

• Members

dont leave your gear man. what if their cat throws up on it? or pee's on it? just like you dont leave your gear in a bar after a gig.,. not worth the risk. to me. i say feed your wife/girlfriend some steroids and a velcro back support. btw were gonna be at the station on the 22nd i think. . come out and hang or sit in or something dude. if you show up ill bring you a new pedal to try out . this past sat some biker chicks got into it .lotsa fun man.they drug them out into the parking lot and it started back up. ill buy you a pitcher & let you borrow my pistol LOL

• Members

As long as you know who goes in and out of the place... I came back to the practice space (shared with members of a former band of our singer and other guitarist) once and the back of my AC30 was practically disassembled. :eek:

We moved shortly after that.

• Members

I was playing in a band in New Orleans. After one practice it was Pouring down rain. I left my amp and Les Paul there. You can probably figure out how this sad story ends. (theft) I won't make that mistake again.

I do have a strict policy at my studio: Musicians are welcome to leave their gear, but I am not responsible. I Never let other players use gear that has been left- no exceptions.

• Members

See, I've only ever been in bands with good friends and shared spaces with other bands that were made up of friends. So I've never really worried about anything. My last band, sometimes stuff would go missing, but we knew which friend it was, and it wasn't like he stole it or anything, he'd just borrow it to record and forget to bring it back until you reminded him.

• Members

Hmmm, wow. I'm with BGC, I've been lucky enough to be in band situations where the practice space was very secure, and the other bands in the space knew and respected the "no touching" rule. I've left a $2k head + cab amp in our practice room, shared with another band, continuously for over 5 years (between gigs that is). Lately, I leave my Gibson GA30RVS in the band space (also shared with another band).

Double deadbolts on the practice room, and double locking doors to the building (yes, 4 keys to get in :( ).

I guess it depends on the people involved. For what it's worth, your friend's home insurance should cover your gear if he had a fire or theft. Check with him on that for 2 reasons: (1) to be sure that you're covered and (2) to let him know you take the handling of your gear very seriously.

Hauling amps back and forth to practice sucks.

Guitars are another matter. I rarely leave my guitar at the space. Just seems to be much more fragile and easy to move around than an amp.

If your amp has a detachable power cord, take that off and either store it somewhere hard to find, or take it with you in your guiatr case.

My $0.02, anyway.

• Members

Well everyone leaves ALL of their stuff at my place. (Basement) I don't let anyone play with anything thats not mine if I'm down there without the rest of the band. I've never had anything close to a problem.

BUT

My rhythm guitarists amp is a Mesa Dual Rec with matching 4x12. Where'd he get it? He bought it off a "guy at work" who said that it was left in HIS basement from another player for over a month. He sold it to him for $500 to come get it.:eek:

So Sh1t can happen, but it all depends on the situation.

• Members

Originally posted by UncleDig

If your amp has a detachable power cord, take that off and either store it somewhere hard to find, or take it with you in your guiatr case.

Damn, beat me to it. That's what I do. Personally, it's so nice to be able to pull up to practice, plug in my guitar and start playing. I do bring my guitar home with me though. I usually practice with only my delay though so my board stays home till the shows.

BUT

I know the drummer and his family really well and they don't have any pets or little children that could {censored} things up. When I practiced in a church, EVERYTHING came home with me every night.

• Members

good plan, but it can go horribly wrong ! I once left my head+cab at my church. I took the power and speaker lead, and left a note say please to don't use. I came in a few days later to find someone playing bass into it, with a instrument cable instead of a speaker cable! luckily it was fine, but some people are juts dumb. Bottom line, if you trust you band mates, leave your stuff!

• Members
Originally posted by UncleDig

And/or just take out the fuse, on most amps easy to do.

You could also leave the guitars. Just take off the strings !

;)

• Members

I have my last bassist's amp here at my house. He moved and stopped coming over. I've had it for about a year. The bassist I played with before this guy had a girlfriend who didn't like my music...so he stopped coming over out of the blue and left his bass amp at my house for over a year. I wish I still had a bass...maybe I should start looking for a new bassist.

• Members

Originally posted by fernmeister

it never ceases to amaze me how sexualised and homo-erotic rock bands are. relationships, breaking up, being faithful, where the gear goes; honestly!

Why are you so crotchety since you got back?

Christ, I'm sorry I tried to find a humorous way to get people to tell stories about what they and other people do with their gear.

• Members

Originally posted by GasMask

I was playing in a band in New Orleans. After one practice it was Pouring down rain. I left my amp and Les Paul there. You can probably figure out how this sad story ends. (theft)

I thought you were going to say flood.

Archived