phew!...two new guitars in 3 days. need pick up help now (p-90 and acoustic)

ode2no1

• Members

very good weekend...on thursday i got an ibanez artcore...the 335 copy. damn this guitar is beautiful. its a little flabby when playing unplugged on the low E string, but for the money its well worth it. anyway the pickups are HORRIBLE (i hate humbuckers anyway though), so i was thinking about getting the duncan phat cats. anyone have any experience with them? any other HB sized p-90's that are worth looking into?

anyway second...on saturday i went in and bought a martin acoustic which im absolutely in love with. its weird....its a custom model, but what was it doing at GC? i dont know if maybe somebody ordered it and didnt end up buying it, or if martin makes special guitars just for guitar center. anyway, my old acoustic was a cutaway with a preamp and all that, but the martin is a straight acoustic, so i'd like to get a pickup for when i play shows and recording and all that. i dont really like the sound of piezo's, so i was thinking of maybe getting a soundhole pickup. any advice?

• Members

Originally posted by ode2no1

very good weekend...on thursday i got an ibanez artcore...the 335 copy. damn this guitar is beautiful. its a little flabby when playing unplugged on the low E string, but for the money its well worth it. anyway the pickups are HORRIBLE (i hate humbuckers anyway though), so i was thinking about getting the duncan phat cats. anyone have any experience with them? any other HB sized p-90's that are worth looking into?

These are supposed to be the shiznit. I've had other HD pickups and they are excellent.

http://www.harmonicdesign.net/allpages/gibsons.html

• Members

i think the only duncan pickup ive ever tried was a JB....and that was like 7 years ago. the reason im sort of leaning in that direction though is because 1, i'm anxious to get the {censored} stock pickups out of it so i can actually plug it in and play....and 2, guitar center is down the street and i can get a pretty good discount.

• Members

if you're thinking about a hum sized P90, i'd seriously consider the Vintage Vibe HB-P90's..they're tone is way more authentic p90 than the Phat Cats (which i still think are cool but not exactly p-90 sounding).. and they're incredibley well made and cheap... $105 for the set.

i put them in my Yamaha Studio Lord

LPBodies.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by delorean

and the dirt-cheap alternative would the the GFS Dream 90's.

+1 on the GFS.

persoanally, i stopped paying "regular" prices for pickups. they're all just copper wire wrapped around magnets, so unless it's hand-wound or something that's patented like a kinman, they shouldn't cost that much.
i got a set of MIGHTY MITE strat pups for $33 total and they sound as good as any other strat pups out there. and if you think otherwise i'll personally bitch slap ya.
:)

• Members

Originally posted by ode2no1

you son of a bitch! how about you buy my V2 already.

I'm buying you sushi this week, and you've had my moog ring mod for like 2 months, and I'M the son of a bitch?

I'll have the money for it when I have the money for it, damnit. Now buy some GFS or Kent Armstrong hb sized p90s so I can hear them through my amps!

Archived