Ot: Doom the movie............Any gamers here?

mst3k

Guest Anonymous

From what I've heard there is no Hell, which to me ultimately ruins what made Doom really awesome... but everyone is signed on for a sequel, so maybe they'll make up for it in the next one.

As to whether there really is Hell in the movie or not... the producers have mislead the fans once before, saying the movie wasn't going to take place on Mars, and that the plot involved genetic mutants only... though now we know differently.

On the up-side... from all the previews and behind the scenes footage I've seen on the net, it looks to be a fun action film with enough nods to the game to make it atleast worth checking out for Doom fans.

Also, the cast and crew have consistently mentioned how much they were all fans of the game, and they wanted to keep it as true as they could... which I think is always a good thing.

Another cool note : they actually have a 10 minute long FPS sequence towards the end that's supposed to be spectacular.

Also, they made sure to use CG only when nessacery, which I think is kewl, because real sets still feel more... real... than computer produced ones.... but could be bad with the Imp's being people walking around in suits...

*shrugs*

Can't wait to check it out.... anyone who hasn't seen the trailer really should... google "Doom Movie"

devi-

• Members

Originally posted by Devi Ever

From what I've heard there is no Hell, which to me ultimately ruins what made Doom really awesome... but everyone is signed on for a sequel, so maybe they'll make up for it in the next one.

As to whether there really is Hell in the movie or not... the producers have mislead the fans once before, saying the movie wasn't going to take place on Mars, and that the plot involved genetic mutants only... though now we know differently.

On the up-side... from all the previews and behind the scenes footage I've seen on the net, it looks to be a fun action film with enough nods to the game to make it atleast worth checking out for Doom fans.

Also, the cast and crew have consistently mentioned how much they were all fans of the game, and they wanted to keep it as true as they could... which I think is always a good thing.

Another cool note : they actually have a 10 minute long FPS sequence towards the end that's supposed to be spectacular.

Also, they made sure to use CG only when nessacery, which I think is kewl, because real sets still feel more... real... than computer produced ones.... but could be bad with the Imp's being people walking around in suits...

*shrugs*

Can't wait to check it out.... anyone who hasn't seen the trailer really should... google "Doom Movie"

devi-

Actually, all of the rumors were completely false from what I've heard. There is Hell, but the main character doesn't go into it.

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

I love Doom, and FPShooters, but this movie doesn't look good to me at all.

come on - can ANYONE name a video game that was made into a great movie?

anyone?

that said, they turned a meh disney ride into a cool movie (Pirates of the Carrabean) and games actually have storylines more often then not... they just have been ignored in the movie adaptaions for the most part. But if the Doom movie stays close to the doom storyline, who knows?

• Members

Plus I really liked both of the Resident Evil movies (both from a game). They are working on a a third one as we speak.

I even liked that animated Final Fantasy movie. It was kinda strange but the animation was awesome.

• Members

I saw the preview when I saw Serenity(great by the way). Looks ok. I'm a big fan of all the pc games so I'm somewhat interested. Couple that with the strange fact that my girlfriend has a weird thing where she'll see anything with any character from Lord of the Rings, Star Trek or Star wars(to support the actors) I'm probably going to see it.
At least theydo the first person thing with the chainsaw..thats cool. :D

• Members

Originally posted by mst3k

Plus I really liked both of the Resident Evil movies (both from a game). They are working on a a third one as we speak.

I even liked that animated Final Fantasy movie. It was kinda strange but the animation was awesome.

Resident Evil 1&2 were just okay, not great.

Final Fantasy was basically a pretty good movie that really only took the game's title, and not any sort of storyline from a previous game - i wouldn't count that one.

it was basically UBIsoft getting more brand recognition out of their most famous title.

• Members

Yeah, Doom did seem to be an odd choice. It was an alright video game, but wolf3d was great and I used to play Duke Nukem 3d all the {censored}ing time, which would probably be the best choice for an adaptation, as duke actually had personality. One of the most funny moments in gaming history for me was at the end of the second act where Duke goes "I'm gonna rip off your head and {censored} down your neck." AFter you beat the boss, you hear like this zipper and then him whistling the theme song (or something like that, it's been awhile and my memorys hazy). Perhaps it was just at the age I played the game, too.

• Members

Originally posted by capnbringdown

Yeah, Doom did seem to be an odd choice. It was an alright video game, but wolf3d was great and I used to play Duke Nukem 3d all the {censored}ing time, which would probably be the best choice for an adaptation, as duke actually had personality. One of the most funny moments in gaming history for me was at the end of the second act where Duke goes "I'm gonna rip off your head and {censored} down your neck." AFter you beat the boss, you hear like this zipper and then him whistling the theme song (or something like that, it's been awhile and my memorys hazy). Perhaps it was just at the age I played the game, too.

I freaking loved Duke Nukem and you are right. That would make a great movie. Thanks so much for reminding me of one of the greatest moments in gaming history. The neck pooping scene!

I had a buddy that I could dial up on modem and we would play Duke every nite for hours. "Born to be wi-i-i-I-ld"!

Archived