A/B pedals and isolation

Jeztastic

• Members

Hi there!

My singer has started playing electric guitar, as well as acoustic. The obvious solution is to get an a/b pedal, such as Dot-Dot-Dot's ABominiser - but he states on the website that it's not suitable for switching between two amps (I assume because of ground loop noise).

Would this still be a problem with one amp and a PA? Also, how bad is the hum likely to be - is there a possibility it won't happen at all?

I was gonna PM Dot Dot Dot, but then I thought.... hey, another on topic thread can't hurt... :)

• Members
Originally posted by mrblackbat

I have a Flying-Fox-without-the-switch (spliteroo I think) and it works a treat. Just don' try and split the signal before a Fuzz Factory/Probe and expect the fuzz still to behave..........

I'm working on that too - I think there's a way of fooling the FF/FP but it'll take some experimentation.

As for the original question, what's the guy doing? One guitar to two amps? Two guitars to one amp? Two guitars in, two amps out, switch the whole lot at once?

The basic unisolated AB is really for if you have two guitars and want to switch between them without unplugging, or if you want a tuner off the main signal path or so on. If you want to use two amps together then isolation is, in my view, essential. You might get away without it, but you probably will get more buzz and hum and noise and popping and suchlike.

If you can lay out just what guitars and amps and effects are involved I'm sure I can come up with something - as I've mentioned, almost everything I build these days is custom built to someone's needs. :)

• Members

The lady concerned will be doing something like:

Acoustic guitar or Electric guitar > Boss TU2 > A/B pedal > PA or Fender amp.

So I suppose something with two inputs, the tuner in a loop, and two outputs would be an ideal solution. Then she wouldn't have to unplug guitars each time. However, I haven't spoken to her about money yet, so I dunno if she would be up for an expensive solution like that.

What you think?

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

I'm working on that too - I think there's a way of fooling the FF/FP but it'll take some experimentation.

As for the original question, what's the guy doing? One guitar to two amps? Two guitars to one amp? Two guitars in, two amps out, switch the whole lot at once?

The basic unisolated AB is really for if you have two guitars and want to switch between them without unplugging, or if you want a tuner off the main signal path or so on. If you want to use two amps together then isolation is, in my view, essential. You might get away without it, but you probably will get more buzz and hum and noise and popping and suchlike.

If you can lay out just what guitars and amps and effects are involved I'm sure I can come up with something - as I've mentioned, almost everything I build these days is custom built to someone's needs.
:)

• Members

If the only common component is the tuner, getting an iso'd A/B box with tuner out seems a tad overkill, IMHO. I'd probably just go:

Electric guitar -> amp

Acoustic guitar -> DI -> PA

and then use the tuner for whichever guitar seems to need it the most. Alternately, a second tuner will probably be cheaper than a custom iso'd A/B + Tuner/mute box.

/Andreas

• Members

Originally posted by andreas

If the only common component is the tuner, getting an iso'd A/B box with tuner out seems a tad overkill, IMHO. I'd probably just go:

Electric guitar -> amp

Acoustic guitar -> DI -> PA

and then use the tuner for whichever guitar seems to need it the most. Alternately, a second tuner will probably be cheaper than a custom iso'd A/B + Tuner/mute box.

/Andreas

Good point about cost. Hover, the actual rig will include overdrive, delay and chorus too. Two tuners seems a little cumbersome.

• Members

Are those pedals going to be used for both guitars? Generally, I prefer to keep my acoustic guitars dry/straight into the PA, perhaps only adding a little compression and reverb at the desk. I'd most definitely not want to use the same settings, or even the same fx, for the acoustic as for the electric...

To me, the most sensible way to switch guitars would be to just turn the volume down on the electric, set it down on a stand and pick up the acoustic. By combining the chains, you'd be making the guitar changes a lot more complicated, with certain pedals needing to be turned on/off as well.

But... if I were to get a special iso'd dual input/output A/B box with tuner/mute output, I'd most likely ask dot-dot-dot to build it for me. :)

/Andreas

• Members

Fit a piezo bridge to the electric - no worries with soundhole feedback, one less guitar to have to deal with at a gig. Then either a stereo Y-cable one end for the electric chain, the other to the PA for the acoustic or stereo to stereo lead to a switch box with two mono outputs. You use one tuner because only one guitar, can go fairly instantly from electric to acoustic tones and if you use the Y-cable route can have electric tones blended with acoustic tones by manipulating the volume controls you'll have on the guitar.

Archived